Walmart wins over broader swath of consumers, but global uncertainty clouds outlook for retailers

NEW YORK (AP) — Walmart delivered another quarter of impressive sales with and low prices becoming a strong magnet for people across the income spectrum that are spending more on almost everything, particularly gasoline.

Yet like other major retailers posting financial results this week, Walmart was cautious about the rest of the year given the current economic uncertainty. On Thursday, it issued a forecast for the current quarter that was weaker than what Wall Street had been expecting.

Shares slipped more than 6% Thursday.

Walmart has resonated with many Americans


Documents show Queen Elizabeth was eager for ex-Prince Andrew to become trade envoy

LONDON (AP) — Documents show Queen Elizabeth II was “very keen” that the former Prince Andrew be given the job of UK trade envoy.

The U.K. government on Thursday released the confidential papers related to the appointment, just months after lawmakers accused the king’s brother of putting his friendship with ahead of the nation.

“The Queen is very keen that the Duke of York should take on a prominent role in the promotion of national interests,” the head of Britain’s trade body wrote


Yesavage brilliant as Blue Jays narrowly beat Yankees 2-1

Trey Yesavage outpitched Cam Schlittler in a marquee matchup between young aces, and the Toronto Blue Jays edged the New York Yankees 2-1 on Wednesday night.

Following a rain delay that lasted more than two hours, the right-handers traded zeros until the seventh inning — when Toronto loaded the bases with nobody out on an infield single, a walk and a bunt single.

Andrés Giménez then fouled off seven pitches, five with two strikes, before drawing an 11-pitch walk that scored Ernie


Taxi, ride-hailing drivers brace for World Cup traffic and antsy passengers

Weeks before global soccer fans are due to descend on Toronto and Vancouver for the World Cup, some Uber drivers were trying to score better working conditions during the tournament.

At a routine meeting, they told the ride-hailing giant they’re worried about how they’ll contend with the traffic — and tempers — 650,000 expected guests will bring to the Canadian cities in June and July.

“Increased traffic causes some customers to be antsy and nervous and frustrated,” said Barry Sawyer,


Supreme Court of Canada to decide whether to hear B.C. appeal in mineral claims case

OTTAWA — The Supreme Court of Canada is expected to say today whether it will hear British Columbia’s appeal of a ruling that found the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the provincial mineral claims regime are “inconsistent.”

The B.C. Court of Appeal ruled in December that the provincial Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act should be “properly interpreted” to incorporate UNDRIP into the laws of B.C. with immediate legal effect.

At the time, a statement from the Gitxaala


Feds working with City of Ottawa to ease public service transit woes: memo

OTTAWA — Officials managing the federal government’s return-to-office plans are concerned about the ability of Ottawa’s troubled municipal transit system to actually get public servants to their workplaces, an internal memo shows.

Canada’s top public servant, Privy Council Clerk Michael Sabia, and Isabelle Mondou, the deputy clerk, met with Ottawa Mayor Mark Sutcliffe on Feb. 19 to discuss the city’s readiness to support an increased onsite presence across the federal public service.

The meeting focused on how the city


Canadian aid workers heading to Congo as part of Ebola outbreak response

TORONTO — Canadian aid workers are heading to the Democratic Republic of Congo, where hundreds of people have likely been infected with a rare and deadly type of Ebola.

Halifax-based Chiran Livera, operations lead of the Canadian Red Cross, says he’s hoping to arrive in the next few days, while a team of public health and logistics experts are already on their way.

Their work will involve contact tracing, psychological support and helping people get to treatment centres.

Livera, who has been a part of aid relief


Gilbert Rozon, Just for Laughs founder, agrees to pay $930K to nine accusers: lawyers

MONTREAL — The lawyers for nine women who sued Just For Laughs founder Gilbert Rozon for sexual assault say the media mogul has agreed to pay the complainants $930,000.

The settlement comes after Quebec Superior Court Justice Chantal Tremblay ruled in late March that Rozen pay eight of the nine women a total of $880,000.

A statement from the women’s law firm, Trudel Johnston & Lespérance, says the comedy festival founder also agreed to waive his right to


Air France flight to U.S. diverted to Montreal over concerns of possible Ebola virus exposure on board

An Air France flight bound for Detroit was diverted to Montreal on Wednesday afternoon due to concerns that one of the passengers on board may have been exposed to the Ebola virus.

According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the passenger was allowed to board Air France flight 378 in Paris “in error” after recently being in East Africa, which is currently dealing with a rare type of Ebola virus.

“Due to entry restrictions put in place to reduce the risk of the Ebola virus


Joey Chestnut to defend hot dog eating title while on probation after pleading guilty to battery

NOBLESVILLE, Ind. (AP) — Competitive eater Joey “Jaws” Chestnut, the and 17-time winner of Nathan’s Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest, will compete in the July 4 spectacle while on probation after he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor battery charge.

Chestnut was accused of slapping a man on the face during a night out at an Indiana bar, his attorney, Mario Massillamany, said. He entered a guilty plea April 20 and was sentenced to 180 days of probation in