Singapore growth to hold firm but AI boom a ‘major uncertainty’: central bank

Singapore’s economic growth should remain firm in the second half of 2026 although a major uncertainty is the sustainability of the AI investment boom, the head of its central bank said on Tuesday.

Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) Managing Director Chia Der Jiun, speaking at the release ‌of the central bank’s annual report, said the Middle East conflict also posed risks, but for now global AI-related demand was “likely to continue to provide a meaningful boost” to the city state while

The Monetary Authority of Singapore. Photo: Reuters

Footprints in Kenya shed light on prehistoric human cousin Paranthropus

Footprints left on a muddy lakeshore in northern Kenya ⁠around 1.43 million years ago are providing new insight into the size and behaviour of a species in the human evolutionary lineage that was the last of its kind, known for extensive anatomical adaptations for eating tough vegetation.

The species, Paranthropus boisei, is known mostly from skull and tooth fossils. Now researchers working along the eastern side of Kenya’s Lake Turkana have identified 21 footprints made by eight individuals of this species who appear to have been walking together


The Philippines, sovereignty and the Pax Silica Industrial Hub – how Helberg sees it

Protesters in Manila express opposition to the US-led Pax Silica international initiative, which brings countries together to secure global supply chains for advanced technologies. Photo: EPA

The struggle between the US and China over who will lead in artificial intelligence is one of the defining competitions of our time. In the third part of our exclusive interview with a key player defining Washington’s policy on AI, Jacob Helberg, US undersecretary of state for economic affairs, gives a commitment to the Philippines on the Pax Silica Initiative.
Philippine

HKU says next leader must have ‘fresh ideas’ for coming ‘transformation’

The HKU campus in Pok Fu Lam. Xiang Zhang announced on Monday he would step down in 2028 after completing a second five-year term. Photo: Dickson Lee

Kristen Cheung and William Yiu

The University of Hong Kong (HKU) will launch a global hunt for its next leader to guide the institution to “fresh ideas” and through a coming “transformation”, the head of its governing council has said.

HKU council chairman Peter Wong Tung-shun announced details of the recruitment on Tuesday, a day after president and vice-chancellor Xiang Zhang announced he would leave the post in 2028


Oman offers Iran Gulf-backed plan for voluntary fees to use Hormuz

Oman presented Iran with ⁠a plan backed by Gulf states to manage the Strait of Hormuz, including collecting voluntary fees for using it, a Gulf source and a Western diplomat told Reuters on Tuesday. The plan could serve as a basis to end the disruption to trade through the strait caused by the US-Israeli war on Iran.

President Donald Trump, who abruptly called off a two-week US bombing campaign over the weekend in his latest strategic U-turn, said there were “good talks” under way with


Malaysian police raid online scam centres in Johor, arrest 335 people

Malaysian ⁠police have raided 32 premises ⁠hosting online scam activities in Forest City in the state of Johor, arresting 335 people and seizing assets worth about 1 million ringgit (US$245,000), according to the state police chief.

The operation was carried out on ‌July 15, targeting two areas that had been identified as hubs for call centres running online fraud activities, Johor police chief Ab Rahaman Arsad said in a video posted on Facebook on Tuesday.

Those arrested

The Forest City development has been beset by a ‌variety of environmental and regulatory issues since its launch in 2016. Photo: EPA-EFE

China cracks down on sales of decommissioned military equipment ‘to protect PLA’s image’

Beijing has tightened its rules on the sale of military equipment to ban its sale through unauthorised channels.

“In recent years, some business operators have openly sold, online and offline, goods … such as decommissioned and scrapped military equipment, causing an adverse impact and creating security risks,” an administrative notice issued by multiple state bodies said.

The notice – made public on Tuesday and published internally last week – covers everything from uniforms to machinery, components and ammunition that have been formally withdrawn from service and designated for disposal.


India’s ‘cockroach’ protests reveal a deeper social mobility crisis

A child holds a placard during a gathering in solidarity with the Cockroach Janta Party to celebrate the resignation of India’s Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, in Mumbai on July 26. Photo: AFP

Adriel Kasonta is a London-based political risk consultant and lawyer, and a graduate of London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).

India’s latest youth protests began after examination papers were leaked. They could ultimately be seen as a referendum on the country’s development model.
The immediate trigger was the controversy around the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET), India’s highly competitive medical entrance exam.

America declares international law for thee but not for me

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio attends the 33rd Asean Foreign Ministers Meeting in Pasay, Metro Manila, Philippines, on July 23. Photo: AFP

Alex Lo has been an SCMP columnist since 2012, covering major issues affecting Hong Kong and the rest of China.

In Orwellian totalitarianism, two plus two can equal five. But with American hegemony, things can be A and not A at the same time.

Earlier this month, Washington declared war on the International Criminal Court (ICC) , whose very existence, it claims, poses an “intolerable” challenge to America’

Ebola cases in DR Congo top 3,200, nearing record of country’s worst outbreak

Confirmed cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo’s ongoing Ebola outbreak reached 3,262, its ministry of health said in an overnight update, nearly the same as the 2018-2020 outbreak that is the largest ever recorded in the country.

Data from the Congolese health ministry showed that 1,437 patients have died out of the 3,262 cases, in what officials have

Dr. Moubarack Kano, 40, looks at medical records at a health facility in Bunia, Ituri province, Democratic Republic of Congo, on July 10 as aid agencies intensify efforts to contain the Ebola outbreak. Photo: Reuters