Hamas’ lead negotiator in ceasefire talks elected as group’s new chief

Born in 1960, Khalil al-Hayya survived an Israeli assassination attempt in Doha last year, though one of his sons was killed in the strike. Photo: AP

Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas announced on Monday that it had elected Khalil al-Hayya, the group’s lead negotiator in indirect ceasefire talks with Israel, as the new head of its political bureau.

“The Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) announces the election of brother mujahid Khalil al-Hayya as head of the movement’s political bureau, succeeding the martyred leader Yahya al-Sinwar,” Hamas said in a statement.

Sinwar, whom


Czech legislators ‘testing the waters’ with China visit after years of tension

A group of Czech lawmakers are visiting China in the first high-level engagement between the two countries since 2019, a move Chinese analysts described as “testing the waters” rather than representing a more substantive thaw.

Tomio Okamura, speaker of the Chamber of Deputies and head of the delegation, told local media he was hoping to secure agreements on more direct flights, an increase in Chinese tourist numbers and visa-free travel for Czech citizens.

Representatives from 40 Czech firms – representing sectors such as energy


Taiwan reviews Papua New Guinea LNG imports after economic office’s forced closure

The Pacific nation and Cambodia have both handed Beijing diplomatic wins by reiterating support for the one-China policy

3 -MIN READ 3 -MIN

Papua New Guinea exports more than 1.2 million tonnes of liquefied natural gas to Taiwan each year under a 20-year supply agreement. Photo: Reuters

Taiwan is reviewing liquefied natural gas (LNG) imports from Papua New Guinea after the Pacific nation said it would close Taipei’s unofficial representative office.
PNG announced last week that it would immediately shut down the office, with Foreign Minister Justin Tkatchenko saying the move reflected the government’s “unwavering commitment

As EU’s China trade deficit widens, Germany changes tack to join France’s Beijing pushback

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz and French President Emmanuel Macron arrive for a press conference at Schloss Augustusburg in Bruehl, Germany on July 17. Photo: Reuters

Xiaofei Xu in Paris and Huizhao Huang in Berlin

Facing Europe’s ever-widening trade deficit with Beijing , Berlin is increasingly singing the same tune as Paris. The two nations displayed a united front at this year’s Franco-German Ministerial Council, which will soon be put on paper in a joint road map due by September at the request of Germany.
“Our work between Germany and France is indispensable at a time when Russia threatens

EU fines AliExpress US$630 million over illegal products

It is the largest fine ever imposed under the EU’s powerful Digital Services Act, part of the bloc’s legal armoury to police big tech

2 -MIN READ 2 -MIN

AliExpress is the biggest Chinese e-commerce platform in the EU with 193 million users. Photo: Shutterstock

The EU on Monday slapped a €550 million (US$630 million) fine on online retailer AliExpress for allowing the sale of illegal products, including unsafe


‘Systemic leap’: China’s drug innovation push yields bumper crop

Domestically produced novel drugs accounted for more than 80 per cent of market approvals in China in the first half of the year, reflecting a “leap” in the quality of the country’s pharmaceutical innovation, according to a government spokesman.

A total of 38 innovative drugs were cleared for sale in the six-month period, of which 31 were home-grown medicines, said Ministry of Industry and Information Technology spokesman Tao Qing, at a media briefing in Beijing on Monday.

The approvals, along with

Mentally disabled Hong Kong waiter gets 28 months for inciting subversion

A Hong Kong court has sentenced a man with an intellectual disability to two years and four months in prison for inciting subversion, promoting a pro-Taiwan party and disseminating anti-Communist Party messages, with the judge noting that his condition had affected his moral judgment.

District Court Judge Stanley Chan Kwong-chi on Monday sentenced Chan Ho-hin, a 23-year-old waiter, who had earlier pleaded guilty to publishing 118 subversive messages on his social media accounts between June 27, 20


Hong Kong Palace Museum partners with Uzbek cultural centre for future projects

Signing ceremony also marks first reciprocal visit by Central Asian cultural institution since city leader led delegation to region in June

2 -MIN READ 2 -MIN

Firdavs Abdukhalikov (left), director of the Islamic Civilisation Centre, poses with Louis Ng, director of the Hong Kong Palace Museum. Photo: Edmond So

The Hong Kong Palace Museum signed a deal with Uzbekistan’s Islamic Civilisation Centre on Monday to collaborate on future exhibitions, academic research and other projects.

The signing ceremony on Monday also marked the first official reciprocal visit by a Central Asian cultural institution since Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu led a

Continue reading...

Hong Kong court tells jury to acquit 14 in alleged triad gangster murder case

A Hong Kong court has ordered the release of 14 defendants charged over the alleged murder of a former triad gangster five years ago, finding that prosecutors had failed to prove the deceased sustained fatal head injuries as a result of deliberate assaults rather than from boxing bouts at his gym.

The High Court on Monday directed a jury to acquit the defendants of all charges after ruling the evidence was too weak to draw any inference regarding the circumstances of the alleged offence between June 25 and 26, 2021.


China’s military mouthpiece issues full-page warning on Japan’s growing drone power

An unmanned ground vehicle is deployed in the Japan Ground Self-Defence Forces’ largest annual live-fire drill in Gotemba, Japan, on June 7. Photo: AFP

China’s military mouthpiece on Monday dedicated a full page to warning about Japan’s expanding offensive drone capabilities, which it said threatened regional peace and security.
PLA Daily said Japan’s right-wing political forces had long sought to bypass Tokyo’s constitutional ban , adopted after World War II, on offensive combat capabilities.
Uncrewed platforms have allowed Japan to