UK teen rapists get detention after outrage at lenient sentences

Two British teenagers convicted of rape must serve time in custody, an appeal judge ruled on Thursday, after a public outcry over a judge’s decision to spare them detention.

Lower court judge Nicholas Rowland in May sentenced the two 15-year-old boys to three-year youth rehabilitation orders, saying he wanted to “avoid criminalising these children unnecessarily”.

However, the sentences provoked a severe backlash, prompting Attorney General Richard Hermer – the government’s chief legal adviser – to refer them to the Court


China signals openness to reducing gaping EU trade surplus as Brussels toughens stance

China told the European Union that it is open to exploring ways to cut its massive trade surplus with the bloc during talks in Brussels this week, according to multiple people briefed on the discussion.

Chinese Commerce Minister Wang Wentao signalled to EU trade chief Maros Sefcovic that China was willing to consider purchase agreements covering European goods. The discussions touched on lowering tariffs on EU-made goods, in a rare sign that China recognises that its billion-euro a day trade surplus has become a political problem.

Related to that, Beijing

Shipping containers at a European port, as Brussels weighs new measures to address its trade imbalance with China. Photo: Handout

Bomb blast at Damascus cafe kills 9 near Palace of Justice, Syrian authorities say

This was the deadliest such incident since a suicide attack killed 25 people at a church last year

2 -MIN READ 2 -MIN

A member of the Syrian security forces sits in a cafe after an explosion near the Palace of Justice in Damascus on Thursday. Photo: dpa

A bomb blast at a cafe in Damascus on Thursday killed nine people and wounded at least 20, authorities said, in the latest challenge for Syria’s Islamist leaders as they seek to stabilise the country after more than a decade of

Continue reading...

WHO declares cruise ship-linked hantavirus outbreak over

The World Health Organization on Thursday declared an end to the deadly hantavirus outbreak on a cruise ship which sparked international alarm, after the last person left quarantine.

There were 12 confirmed and one probable case stemming from the MV Hondius, including three deaths.

But while the outbreak is now over, for scientists and experts, the work is only in its early stages, as they try to learn lessons from the episode that triggered a global health alert.

“Today, the final contact of a person exposed to hantavirus on


Venezuelan man rescued from rubble 8 days after deadly quakes: ‘truly a miracle’

Hernan Gil, a survivor of Venezuela’s twin earthquakes, is helped by rescuers before being rushed into an ambulance in Catia La Mar on Thursday. Photo: AFP

Hundreds of rescuers in Venezuela cheered and embraced on Thursday after pulling a 43-year-old man alive from the ruins of a collapsed building eight days after deadly twin earthquakes.

With the official death toll nearing 2,300 and huge numbers of people still missing, the rescue of security guard Hernan Gil after so long under the rubble was greeted as a miracle

Continue reading...

Cyberattack on Hong Kong’s Shun Hing Group affects data of 1 million people

A cyberattack on leading Hong Kong appliance distributor Shun Hing Group has compromised the personal information of more than 1 million people, according to the city’s privacy watchdog.

The Office of the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data said on Thursday that it had launched an investigation into the incident after receiving a data breach report from Shun Hing Group on March 23.

The latest information provided by the company suggested that the personal data of as many as 1.05 million people, mostly its customers, had been maliciously encrypted,


Lam Wing-kee, Hong Kong bookseller detained in mainland China, dies

Hong Kong bookseller Lam Wing-kee, who publicly recounted being abducted and detained by mainland Chinese authorities in 2015, has died at the age of 70 after a years-long battle with lung cancer, according to Taiwanese media.

Local media reported that Lam, who moved to Taiwan in 2019, was admitted to Mackay Memorial Hospital in Taipei on Tuesday, but his condition worsened and he fell into a coma.

He was pronounced dead on Thursday evening.

Lam Wing-kee at his Casueway Bay Books in Taipei in April 2020. Photo: EPA-EFE
Lam Wing-kee at his

US job growth falters, testing Trump’s Republicans ahead of midterm election

Hiring sign for sales professionals is displayed at a store in Vernon Hills, Illinois. Photo: AP

The United States posted weaker-than-expected job growth in June as new data showed the labour market is facing headwinds ahead of the testing midterm election for President Donald Trump’s Republicans.

Total nonfarm payroll employment grew by 57,000 and the unemployment rate fell slightly to 4.2 per cent, the US Bureau of Labour Statistics (BLS) said in a statement on Thursday.

After months of seesawing growth and contraction


Could China’s containerised aircraft launcher reshape rules of modern warfare?

A drone is launched from an electromagnetic catapult system using interconnected trucks that form a continuous platform. Photo: BIT/WeChat

Liu Zhen and Amber Wang in Beijing

The footage shows three eight-wheeled flat-top trucks driving on to what appears to be an airfield runway. Once aligned and connected via mechanical hinges, they form a continuous platform, along which a fixed-wing propeller drone accelerates and takes off.

The Beijing Institute of Technology’s (BIT) school of mechanical engineering

Continue reading...

Papua rebels shoot American pilot dead, torch plane to send ‘message’ to US

Rebels in Indonesia ’s restive easternmost region of Papua on Thursday shot ⁠dead an American pilot and ⁠set a civilian plane on fire in ⁠what a spokesperson for a local separatist group described as a “message” to the US and Indonesian governments.

A low-level battle for independence from Indonesia has long raged in the resource-rich western half of Papua, where attacks by independence fighters have grown deadlier and more ‌frequent as they have procured better weaponry.

Sebby Sambom, a spokesman for the West Papua National