China tests satellite-linked tracking device on China-Europe railway to stop cargo thieves

A potential hi-tech upgrade to BeiDou-based rail monitoring systems could better protect and track containers on the transcontinental China-Europe railway express, according to the developers of a new mountable device.

A team drawn from various state-owned railway enterprises said the device could overcome long-standing logistics challenges in real-time rail container tracking and improve security and safety along the vital land shipping route.

The China Railway team examined the existing application of China’s BeiDou Navigation Satellite system in railway container transport and tested a

South Korean ex-first lady Kim Keon-hee gets 7 years in jail for bribery

Kim was found guilty of accepting ‘high-value precious metals’ in exchange for favours in personnel appointments

2 -MIN READ 2 -MIN

South Korea’s former first lady Kim Keon-hee arrives at the special prosecutor’s office in Seoul last year. Photo: Reuters

A South Korean court sentenced former first lady Kim Keon-hee, already serving time behind bars for corruption, to another seven years’ imprisonment on Friday in a jobs-for-gifts scandal.

Kim, 53,


Asia defence spending


Hong Kong beautician pleads guilty to luring 2 women into Myanmar scam factory

Poon Sum-yi, 33, pleaded guilty to a count of fraud for luring the two victims into travelling to Thailand. Photo: Jelly Tse

A Hong Kong beautician has admitted tricking two women into forced labour and confinement in Southeast Asia by offering them free flights and accommodation and promising a lucrative reward for transporting 48 million baht (US$1.4 million) more than a year ago.

The court heard the two women’s relatives paid more than HK$585,000 (US$74,610) in total to secure their


Malaysia demands US$257 million from Norwegian firm over axed missile deal

Malaysia is seeking compensation of 226 million euros (US$257 million) from a Norwegian defence firm after a deal to deliver a naval missile system was cancelled, despite the Southeast Asian country having paid about 95 per cent of the contract value.

The claim comprised 129.86 million euros in direct losses, including payments already made by the government, and 96.26 million euros for additional costs and consequential damages, Defence Minister Mohamed Khaled Nordin told parliament on Friday,

A test launch of the Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace’s Naval Strike Missile from a ship. Photo: Kongsberg

Ex-general seen as main Netanyahu rival ahead of Israel elections

Former Israeli defence chief Gadi Eisenkot is emerging as the main rival to incumbent Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, months ahead of the nation’s parliamentary elections.

Eisenkot’s new centrist party, Yashar! (Hebrew for “Straight!”), has rapidly been gaining popularity in opinion polls. It is currently second behind Netanyahu’s right-wing Likud.

Israelis must elect a new parliament by October 27 at the latest, although the vote was most likely to be held on October 20. Opinion polls suggest


Why Chinese exporters and shipping firms remain wary despite the US-Iran peace deal

Traders and logistics companies fear disrupted supply chains and doubts about the agreement’s durability will continue to weigh on business decisions

3 -MIN READ 3 -MIN

A cargo ship remains anchored on May 16 in the Strait of Hormuz near Larak Island, Iran. Photo: Getty Images

Iran and the United States may have entered a temporary ceasefire, but uncertainty over the agreement continues to cast a shadow over the operations of Chinese businesses across the Gulf region.

While the deal has raised hopes that business activity could gradually resume, many traders and investors remain reluctant to make long


Woman dead after fire at Hong Kong flat, 3 others hospitalised

Smoking billows from a window at Valiant Court in Ho Man Tin. Photo: Threads
Continue reading...

China keeps an eye on AI smart glasses as privacy concerns come into focus

China has issued the first industry code of conduct for smart glasses powered by artificial intelligence, following public outrage over videos taken by users covertly filming strangers with the increasingly popular devices.

The voluntary code calls on smart eyewear manufacturers to adopt a “minimum data collection” approach, provide clear indicators when cameras or microphones are active, and obtain explicit user consent before recording.

The guidelines were released on Thursday by the China Academy of Information and Communications Technology (CAICT), a research institute under the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology

Hangzhou-based Rokid recently came under scrutiny after videos emerged showing users covertly recording strangers with its smart glasses. Photo: Wency Chen

Wang Fuk Court administrator to hold owners’ meeting in July after repeated delays

Hong Kong authorities have officially extended a buy-back offer to the only residential block spared in the deadly Wang Fuk Court blaze after more than three-quarters of households indicated their intention to sell their flats to the government.

Owners of 78 per cent of the flats in the other seven blocks at the Tai Po estate have already signed letters of acceptance to sell their homes under the resettlement scheme in what was described as “good progress” by the government.

Authorities said on Friday that they had decided to include homeowners