Motorcyclist dies after collision with double-decker bus in Hong Kong

The crash occurred on New Clear Water Bay Road at around 4pm. Photo: Facebook/Shun Lee Public Transport

A motorcyclist was killed in Hong Kong following a collision with a KMB double‑decker bus on Saturday afternoon.

Police said the crash occurred at about 4pm on New Clear Water Bay Road outside the Shun Lee Disciplined Services Quarters in Sau Mau Ping.

The rider suffered multiple injuries and was left unconscious. He was rushed by ambulance to United Christian Hospital in Kwun Tong, where he was later certified dead.

The bus was operating on route 2


And Apec makes 4? Trump pencils in another ‘big’ China trip as US midterms loom

The US president is on track to be the first in office to visit Shenzhen, with arms sales to Taiwan likely to stay on hold

3 -MIN READ 3 -MIN

US President Donald Trump tours the VC-25B aircraft gifted by Qatar that will be used as Air Force One, at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, on Friday. Photo: Reuters

US President Donald Trump’s announcement that he will visit China “at some point” this year sets the stage for an unusually frequent series of face-to-face meetings between the American

Spanish court bans PM’s wife from leaving country

The case is one of several corruption affairs that have embroiled the PM’s family and former allies

2 -MIN READ 2 -MIN

A truck displaying images of Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez and his wife Begona Gomez drives outside the court as a way of protest on the day Gomez appears in court to testify as part of influence-peddling investigation, in Madrid on Monday. Photo: Reuters

A Spanish court has ordered the wife of Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, Begona Gomez, to stand trial by jury for corruption and banned her from leaving the country, according to a court order released on Saturday.

The case is one of several corruption affairs that have embroiled the Socialist leader’s family and former

Continue reading...

Guinea pushes Simandou on iron ore exports to feed China’s ‘green steel’ mills

Mining vehicles operate at Blocks 3 and 4 of the Simandou mine in Guinea, a large high-grade iron ore deposit. Photo: Reuters

Shipping services in Guinea are being upended as the West African country ramps up iron ore exports for China’s “green steel” production lines to take advantage of much higher prices.

Vessels that usually ship bauxite from Guinea have been diverted to iron ore to maximise exports before heavy seasonal rains grind production to a halt, according to international shipbroking and maritime research firm Ifchor Galbraiths.

Analysts say that shoring up supplies from Guinea helps China with its broader


Suspect arrested after man attacked with rock in alleged attempted robbery

The alleged attempted robbery occurred at Kai Tak Cruise Terminal. Photo: Jelly Tse

Hong Kong police have arrested a man in connection with an attempted robbery at Kai Tak Cruise Terminal, where the victim was allegedly attacked with a rock early on Saturday.

Police said that a 36‑year‑old man reported that he had been assaulted while parking his car at the terminal at about 4.10am.

The assailant allegedly hit him with a rock in an attempt to rob him but fled empty‑handed, police


Beijing planning more surveys east of Taiwan to assert sovereignty, state media reports

Beijing will make maritime surveys in the waters east of Taiwan a routine matter as it seeks to assert its sovereignty following talks between Japan and the Philippines, state media reported on Friday.

An article published by Yuyuan Tantian, a social media account affiliated with state broadcaster CCTV, said mainland China was “diversifying” its claims to the waters with a range of activities, ranging from military drills and coastguard patrols to natural resources surveys.

It added that more regular surveys would help with territorial planning, development and protection. It said


At least 30 deaths at DR Congo camp show Ebola could be spreading fast

Displaced people watch a health worker in full personal protective equipment preparing to disinfect the area during the burial of Ebola victims at the Kigonze camp on Thursday. Photo: Reuters

At least 30 people have died since the start of May in one camp for displaced civilians in northeastern Congo, a death rate that camp officials said was unprecedented, with some confirmed to have died from Ebola in a sign the disease could be spreading fast there.

It was not possible to confirm the causes of all the deaths because patients or their relatives in Kigonze camp in Bunia – the epicentre of the Ebola ‌outbreak in Democratic Republic of

Continue reading...

1 killed as freight train plunges from bridge in Germany after crash

The collision of two freight trains caused loaded cars to fall to the road below

1 -MIN READ 1 -MIN

Firefighters examine the two cars of a freight train that fell from a bridge during the night. Photo: dpa

One person died after two freight trains collided on a bridge in Munich overnight, causing loaded cars to plunge to the road below, police said on Saturday.

Two cars of one train fell about 5 metres (16 ft) from a bridge and came to rest at round 1.40am, according to a spokeswoman

Continue reading...

How a prize-winning Taiwanese novel could stoke Beijing’s worries over history

Yang Shuang-zi’s Taiwan Travelogue wins the International Booker Prize – and reignites debate over the island’s shifting identity

3 -MIN READ 3 -MIN

Author Yang Shuang-zi (left) and translator Lin King pose with their 2026 International Booker Prize trophies at the Tate Modern in London on May 19. Photo: EPA

Taiwan’s first International Booker Prize-winning novel has reignited debate over the island’s shifting identity , with its portrayal of a distinctly Taiwanese historical experience at odds with narratives long promoted by Beijing .

The attention surrounding Taiwan Travelogue comes at a sensitive time in cross-strait relations


Hong Kong police arrest 7 over knifepoint robbery of HK$7 million in gold bars

Hong Kong police recovered knives and the vehicle used in the robbery of six gold bars worth HK$7 million. Photo: Handout

Hong Kong police have arrested seven people over robbery of six gold bars worth HK$7 million (US$893,102), with some suspects believed to have fled to mainland China.

The force said on Saturday that four men and three women were arrested on Thursday after a 36-year-old man reported the robbery at about 12.30am the same day at a car park at the

Continue reading...