Starmer holds calls with Trump and Carney on Iran’s Hormuz blockage

US ⁠President ⁠Donald Trump ⁠has warned that Nato faces a “very bad” future if US allies ‌fail to help in opening up the Strait of Hormuz, in an interview with the Financial ⁠Times published on Sunday.

Trump told ‌the newspaper he could also delay ‌his summit with China’s President ⁠Xi ⁠Jinping later this month as ‌he presses Beijing to help unblock ‌the crucial ‌waterway.

“It’s only appropriate ‌that people who ⁠are the beneficiaries of the Strait ⁠will help to make sure that nothing ‌bad happens there,” ‌Trump told the newspaper.

“I think China should help too because China gets 90 per cent of its oil from the strait,” Trump said.

Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer spoke earlier on Sunday about the “importance” of reopening the strait, currently blocked by Iran, the UK leader’s office said.

“The leaders discussed the ongoing situation in the Middle East and the importance of reopening the Strait of Hormuz to end the disruption to global shipping, which is driving up costs worldwide,” a Downing Street spokeswoman said in a statement.