
Robin Zeng Yuqun , head of the world’s largest electric vehicle (EV) battery maker, has played down expectations for the much-hyped solid-state battery technology, predicting an inflection point would not take place until 2030.
“Based on a measure of level one to nine, the technology has only reached level four so far,” Zeng told a panel at the World Economic Forum’s Annual Meeting of the New Champions, also known as Summer Davos , held in Dalian, in northeast China’s Liaoning province, according to a video clip posted online.
“Even if the products are delivered, it remains to be seen whether they will be well received and become a commercial success on the market,” he said.
CATL confirmed Zeng’s comments on Thursday.
Zeng added that mass production of the batteries – which use a solid electrolyte to conduct ions between electrodes – would not begin until 2030.
The battery technology is widely seen as a superior alternative to conventional lithium-ion batteries that rely on liquid or gel-based materials.