Myanmar shadow government calls for revolt against junta

BANGKOK/YANGON -- The acting president of Myanmar's shadow government, Duwa Lashi La, said on Tuesday via an online Facebook speech that the "defensive war" against the military regime has been launched.

The president of the National Unity Government formed by anti-regime politicians and activists opposing the Feb. 1 military takeover urged citizens "in every corner of the country" to rebel against the military regime led by Gen. Min Aung Hlaing.

Duwa Lashi La also said the People's Defense Forces -- the shadow government's military arm launched in May -- will "protect the lives and properties of the people."

Special envoy Erywan Yus of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, who is a minister of Brunei, had earlier called for a four-month cease-fire. But according to Duwa Lashi La's speech: "I believe that our neighboring countries, ASEAN countries, United Nations and all the other countries around the world understand, that we do [this action] out of necessity based on the country's current situation."

The shadow government's president called for bureaucrats currently working under the military regime to leave their posts. "All the civil servants under the military council, we warn and forbid you from going to the office from today onward."

Duwa Lashi La's statement also said: "As the people's revolution begins, all the soldiers, the polices forces, and civil servants who have been deceived and suppressed by Min Aung Hlaing immediately join the People's Defense Forces and immediately report to the Ministry of Defense and Ministry of Home Affair of National Unity Government."