Pentagon official hails ‘stronger’ military ties with PLA at anniversary event

Pentagon official Alvaro Smith (left) with Chinese ambassador Xie Feng (centre) and defence attaché Major General Liu Zhan at China’s embassy in Washington on Tuesday. Photo: qq.com

Nayan Seth in Washington and Han Li in Washington, DC

A senior Pentagon official on Tuesday said US-China military communication was “stronger than it has been in years”, marking a rare bright spot in the broader strategic rivalry between the world’s two most powerful countries .

“Under the leadership of Secretary [Pete] Hegseth, we are actively repairing a once broken military-to-military channel and making clear, steady progress,” said Alvaro Smith, deputy assistant defence secretary for China, Taiwan and Mongolia.

He made the remarks during a reception at the Chinese embassy in Washington celebrating the 99th anniversary of the founding of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army – one of few such occasions attended by a senior Pentagon official in recent years.

Smith also said Washington was not seeking “conflict with China” and hoped to maintain a “peaceful” and “respectful” bilateral relationship.

“The department has embraced a new approach to our military relationship – one built on candid, respectful, clear conversations with genuine interest in de-escalation, while continuing to advance our nation’s priorities,” he said.

“This is how two powerful militaries should engage, and over the last year and a half, we made this a reality.”