Singtel weighs Optus stake sale as Australian watchdog launches court action

Australia’s ⁠communications ⁠regulator has taken Optus to court over last year’s network outages, which were linked to four deaths

1 -MIN READ 1 -MIN

People walk past an Optus store in Sydney on September 29, 2025. Photo: Reuters

Singtel, Singapore ’s largest telecommunications company, confirmed on Thursday that it was in discussions with multiple parties over a potential stake sale ‌in its Australian telecoms unit Optus, but said there was no certainty the talks would result in a deal.
Optus has been owned by ⁠Singtel since 2001. The company did not say which parties it is speaking with.
In May, Singtel said it was ‌open ‌to bringing in an Australian minority partner ‌for Optus while reaffirming its commitment to ⁠the country’s second-largest telecommunications provider.

Reuters reported in 2024 that Singtel ⁠was in advanced talks to sell a significant stake in Optus to ‌Brookfield Asset Management, although the company denied a deal was imminent.

A man looks out of the window of Singtel’s head office in Singapore. Photo: Reuters
A man looks out of the window of Singtel’s head office in Singapore. Photo: Reuters

The telecoms services provider is under heightened ‌scrutiny following two outages involving Australia’s emergency call service that affected thousands ⁠of users ⁠and were linked to four deaths. The incidents led to the departure of two ‌senior executives, including its finance chief.