Extend fuel subsidy or costs will go up, Hong Kong taxi and minibus drivers warn

Hong Kong taxi and minibus drivers have called for a two-month liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) subsidy scheme to be extended amid uncertainty over the war in the Middle East, and warned monthly operating costs could rise by up to 33 per cent when the policy ends this week.

A government task force rolled out the subsidy on May 31, which offers a 50 HK cent (6 US cent) per litre rebate on LPG at the pump for taxis, minibuses and school buses in response to volatility stemming from the United States-Israel war with Iran that began in late February.

The policy, which expires on Friday, was expected to benefit about 16,900 taxis, around 3,440 green and red minibuses, and about 170 school buses.

Wong Po-keung, chairman of the Hong Kong Taxi Owners’ Association, said operating costs for cabbies would increase by 10 per cent once the scheme ended, while their income would fall by 15 per cent. The government’s tunnel fee waivers also expired this month, he added.

“The conflict is still going on in the Middle East, and no one knows when oil prices will come down,” he said. “Our operating costs have gone up because of this. If the government doesn’t have a subsidy in place, the burden on drivers will be very serious.”

Wong added that he had already called for the scheme’s extension earlier this month, but had yet to receive a reply.