Fake troops loot earthquake-hit homes in Japan’s Kumamoto

Houses in Hikawa, Japan’s Kumamoto prefecture, damaged by the magnitude 7.1 earthquake on July 28. Photo: Kyodo

Men in military fatigues identical to those worn by Japan ’s Ground Self-Defence Forces (SDF) are reportedly prowling evacuated communities in Kumamoto prefecture to loot abandoned homes and businesses in the aftermath of last month’s earthquake .

An official at the prefectural government confirmed media reports of “fake SDF personnel” attempting to enter properties in affected areas, although she said the authority’s immediate priority was still to find shelter and provide food and medical care for those who had lost their homes.

“We have received reports of this but I cannot provide you with more details than that at the moment,” government spokeswoman Akino Sonoda said. “We are not presently sure of the number of reports or the towns affected but yes, the prefecture and the police are aware of these reports.”

Warnings about being alert to strangers – even those that at first glance appear to be members of the military sent to assist in the search and recovery efforts – have also been shared among residents.

A member of Japan’s Self-Defence Forces hands a water container to a man at a water distribution station following the July 28 earthquake in Kumamoto prefecture. Photo: AFP
A member of Japan’s Self-Defence Forces hands a water container to a man at a water distribution station following the July 28 earthquake in Kumamoto prefecture. Photo: AFP

Kiyoko Date travelled to her home village, close to hard-hit Yatsuhiro, to help her friends and family immediately after the magnitude 7.1 earthquake struck shortly before 4.30pm on July 28.