Hong Kong authorities may euthanise the large dog that mauled two smaller pets to death in Yuen Long earlier this week if its owner surrenders it, or alternatively formally classify it as a “known dangerous dog”.
Jackie Yip Yin, assistant director of the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) responsible for inspection and quarantine, said on Wednesday that the 60kg (132lb) mixed-breed dog remained under observation at a government animal management centre.
“If the owner ultimately decides to hand the dog over to the government, we will determine an appropriate way to handle it,” she told a radio show.
“If necessary, this includes considering humane euthanasia.”
Yip said authorities were also considering applying for a court order to classify the animal as a known dangerous dog. This would subject it to tighter controls, including a requirement that it wear a muzzle in public.
Adoption by a new owner could also be considered, although government veterinarians would need to assess the dog’s behaviour and take its previous attacks into account, she added.