North Korea says second satellite launch this year failed

SEOUL -- North Korea has conducted another unsuccessful attempt at launching a satellite, state media said, citing a problem with the rocket.

The launch attempt took place in the early hours of Thursday and prompted emergency alerts in Japan. Pyongyang had earlier informed Japan that it would attempt the launch between Thursday and Aug. 31. In response, Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida told reporters that such a move would be "extremely regrettable."