
Chief Secretary Eric Chan Kwok-ki said on Tuesday that the park’s main stadium would host the “grand” ceremony on the evening of March 1, the official opening date.
The city’s No 2 official also addressed the busy Lunar New Year holiday and said Hong Kong had been bustling with visitors, as January recorded the highest monthly number of tourists in the post-pandemic period.
He hailed the coming ceremony marking the sports hub’s opening as a major achievement for the city.
“The official opening of Kai Tak Sports Park will be a historic moment for Hong Kong,” Chan said before the weekly meeting of the Executive Council, the city’s key decision-making body.
“There will be representatives from the sports and cultural sectors from the mainland and Hong Kong.”