
Hong Kong education authorities have reminded schools to be vigilant about any attempts to promote US Independence Day celebrations on campus, the Post has learned.
This follows an online claim that authorities had told schools to discourage students from attending July 4 events at the US consulate. The claim also suggested teachers were informed that they should seek approval from their principals before attending any consular events.
A school principal confirmed receiving a verbal reminder from the Education Bureau in recent days about attempts to encourage US Independence Day celebrations on campus.
Another principal said the bureau would circulate reminders about safeguarding national security occasionally, but did not believe the timings coincided with specific events, adding that the last time the school had received a reminder was last week.
The notice reportedly came from the bureau ahead of the United States’ Independence Day on July 4.
A Facebook page under the name “Edu Lancet” said on Wednesday that schools had received “friendly reminders” in recent weeks from the bureau’s regional education offices that students taking part in Independence Day events could violate national security laws.