Hong Kong records first imported case of chikungunya fever since 2019

Hong Kong has recorded its first imported case of chikungunya fever since 2019, involving a boy who returned from the mainland Chinese city of Foshan which is facing an outbreak of the mosquito-borne disease, the Post has learned.

A source confirmed the imported case of the chikungunya infection on Saturday, weeks after a surge in cases of the disease was identified in Guangdong. About 6,100 cases have been recorded in the province so far, with about 90 per cent of patients concentrated in Foshan’s Shunde district.

The boy had been staying in Shunde for almost two weeks before returning to Hong Kong, according to a source.

Infectious disease expert Yuen Kwok-yung said the 12-year-old boy travelled to Foshan for 14 days and developed a fever soon after returning to Hong Kong. He also had rash and joint pain, and was admitted to United Christian Hospital in Kwun Tung, Yuen said.

The boy’s blood tested positive at the Centre for Health Protection, Yuen said, adding the patient had been transferred to Princess Margaret Hospital in Lai Chi Kok for mild conditions.

“Everyone who comes back with any fever, joint pain or rash should be tested so that anti-mosquito work can be started around their home and workplace,” he said.