
A man has been arrested in connection with a weekend knife attack on a tram in the German city of Dresden in which an American national was wounded, prosecutors said on Tuesday.
The 20-year-old male victim was attacked just after midnight on Sunday while the tram was at a stop.
Police said he intervened when two men harassed a woman on board the tram and was then attacked himself before the men fled. He sustained a deep wound to the face.
The US embassy in Berlin condemned the “brutal attack” in a post on social media.
A 21-year-old Syrian detained on Sunday over the attack was initially let go because prosecutors did not at that point have grounds to keep him in custody.
Prosecutors and police said in a statement that the man was rearrested on Tuesday morning after new information pointed to him being involved in the attack.
The suspect is accused of causing grievous bodily harm. The search for the second suspect has so far been unsuccessful.
Choose your listening speed
Get through articles 2x faster