Post-war plan sees US administering Gaza for at least a decade: reports

A post-war plan for Gaza is circulating within US President Donald Trump’s administration that would see the United States administer the war-torn enclave for at least a decade, the relocation of Gaza’s population and its rebuilding as a tourist resort and manufacturing hub, The Washington Post reported on Sunday.

The newspaper said that, according to a 38-page prospectus it had seen, Gaza’s 2 million population would at least temporarily leave either through “voluntary” departures to another country or into restricted areas within the territory during reconstruction.

Reuters previously reported there is a proposal to build large-scale camps called “Humanitarian Transit Areas” inside – and possibly outside – Gaza to house the Palestinian population. That plan carried the name of the US-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation , or GHF, a controversial US-backed aid group.

Anyone who owns land would be offered a “digital token” in exchange for rights to redevelop their property, The Washington Post reported, adding that each Palestinian who left would be provided with US$5,000 in cash and subsidies to cover four years of rent. They would also be provided with a year of food, it added.

The newspaper said the plan is called the “Gaza Reconstitution, Economic Acceleration and Transformation Trust, or GREAT Trust”, and was developed by the GHF.

GHF coordinates with the Israeli military and uses private US security and logistics companies to get food aid into Gaza.