China cancels idol’s concerts over past drug arrest, but says it’s not enough

William So Wing-hong had been scheduled to perform several concerts in China next month but they have been cancelled after public concern over his past drug arrest. Photo: Weibo/蘇永康william

Several planned concerts in mainland China by Hong Kong Cantopop idol William So Wing-hong have been cancelled following a public backlash over his past drug involvement, reigniting debate around whether artists convicted of drug offences are allowed to re-enter the spotlight.

The incident drew strong criticism from Communist Party mouthpiece People’s Daily, which argued that it was not enough to just cancel the concerts – those responsible for approving the event had to be held legally accountable.

“The authority and values of the relevant departments are heavily questioned, and public trust is inevitably eroded,” it said in a commentary on Wednesday.

“Cancelling So’s concerts is necessary, and holding those accountable is also essential. Only by taking these actions can we serve as a warning to others and create a deterrent effect.”

The cancelling of William So’s concerts has reignited debate in China around whether redemption after a drug scandal is possible. Photo: Weibo/ 蘇永康william
The cancelling of William So’s concerts has reignited debate in China around whether redemption after a drug scandal is possible. Photo: Weibo/ 蘇永康william

It wrote that drugs were a public nuisance to society, and drug prevention efforts were crucial for “national security, the country’s prosperity and the well-being of the people”.

Choose your listening speed

Get through articles 2x faster