Indonesia seeks answers after Australians charged with arming Papua rebels

Papuan separatist rebels with a man they say is New Zealander pilot Phillip Mehrtens, who they took hostage, at an undisclosed location in Papua province, Indonesia, in February 2023. Photo: West Papua National Liberation Army via AP

Indonesia has responded to the arrest of two Australian citizens accused of trying to arm Papuan separatist fighters, warning that it would not tolerate threats to its territorial integrity and calling for closer coordination with Canberra to investigate cross-border arms networks.

The remarks came after the Australian Federal Police last week charged a 64-year-old man from New South Wales and a 44-year-old man from Queensland with conspiring to export firearms and ammunition to the West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB), the armed wing of the Free Papua Movement (OPM).

Brigadier General Frega Wenas, head of the defence ministry’s defence information bureau, said Jakarta was committed to preventing any parties from attempting to disrupt the country’s security.

However, he said he did not want to discuss the legal proceedings against the men suspected of supplying arms to TPNPB. “Of course, that is within the jurisdiction of the Australian government,” he told reporters on Thursday as quoted by Tempo.

Brigadier General Frega Wenas says Indonesia is committed to preventing any parties from attempting to disrupt the country’s security. Photo: AFP
Brigadier General Frega Wenas says Indonesia is committed to preventing any parties from attempting to disrupt the country’s security. Photo: AFP
The case has also prompted calls within Indonesia’s parliament for closer coordination with Canberra. Lawmaker TB Hasanuddin urged the Indonesian embassy in Australia to monitor the legal process and work to uncover broader trafficking networks.

Choose your listening speed

Get through articles 2x faster