Grand Theft Auto VI not launching for another year

Rockstar Games has delayed Grand Theft Auto VI by six months. The game is now scheduled to launch on November 19th 2026 for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S, moving from the previously announced date of May 26th 2026.
In a statement shared on social media, Rockstar apologized for the extra wait and said the additional time is needed to finish the game to its usual quality standards. The studio says it is “incredibly excited” for players to explore Leonida and return to a modern-day Vice City, but did not mention any specific development issues.
Hi everyone,
Grand Theft Auto VI will now release on Thursday, November 19, 2026.
We are sorry for adding additional time to what we realize has been a long wait, but these extra months will allow us to finish the game with the level of polish you have come to expect and deserve.
We want to thank you again for your patience and support. While the wait is a little longer, we are incredibly excited for players to experience the sprawling state of Leonida and a return to modern day Vice City.
Sincerely,
Rockstar Games
The delay lands in the same week that Rockstar confirmed it has fired some employees. The company claims those workers leaked confidential GTA 6 information in a private chat that included people outside the studio, while the affected staff and their union accuse Rockstar of targeting union organizers.
Some commentators and fans now suspect that the firings and internal dispute could add further risk to GTA 6’s schedule, though Rockstar has not linked the personnel changes to the new date.
I guess it is safe to say we won’t see GTA6 on PCs for a long time…
Source:
We want to thank you again for your patience and support. While the wait is a little longer, we are incredibly excited for players to experience the sprawling state of Leonida and a return to modern day Vice City.
Sincerely,
Rockstar Games— Rockstar Games (@RockstarGames) November 6, 2025