Death toll from Hong Kong fire rises to 160 as DNA tests confirm 1 more fatality

The blaze tore through seven of the eight buildings at Wang Fuk Court. Photo: Eugene Lee

and

The death toll from Hong Kong’s worst fire in decades has risen to 160 after another resident of the inferno-ravaged Wang Fuk Court housing estate in Tai Po was confirmed as a fatality, the city’s police chief has said, with six people still missing.

Commissioner of Police Joe Chow Yat-ming also said on Tuesday that the next stage of work at the site would involve removing scaffolding to search for bodies.

He also revealed that a piece of bone had been found on the ground after piles of bamboo scaffolding were removed, but it had yet to be determined whether it was human or from an animal.

The death toll from the November 26 blaze was increased from 159 to 160 after a body discovered earlier was found to be the remains of two people – an elderly resident and her domestic helper – using DNA samples from both families, Chow said.

The identities of 120 dead had been confirmed, with the remaining 40 pending DNA verification, he said.

“As we are verifying other remains as to whether they are human or from animals, we will see if we need to adjust the death toll,” Chow warned.

The confirmation of another fatality came after a forensic pathologist took various samples from a victim found earlier and also discovered the remains of another person, Chow said.

Choose your listening speed

Get through articles 2x faster