US agents who shot Minneapolis man Alex Pretti placed on leave

Demonstrators take part in a vigil and protest on Tuesday over the fatal shooting of Alex Pretti by federal immigration agents in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Photo: Reuters

Two immigration agents involved in the fatal shooting of a protester in Minneapolis have been placed on leave, a US Customs and Border Protection spokesman said on Wednesday, as President Donald Trump battles backlash over the incident.

“The two officers involved are on administrative leave. This is standard protocol,” the spokesman said in a statement.

Intensive care unit nurse Alex Pretti was shot multiple times on Saturday after being forced to the ground by camouflaged officers in a scuffle captured on video.

His death, which followed the deadly shooting of another female protester by an immigration officer earlier in January, sparked nationwide and bipartisan outrage.

Trump has called for an “honourable and honest investigation” into Pretti’s death and suggested he would “de-escalate a little bit” the administration’s immigration crackdown in the city in the northern state of Minnesota.

Outcry after ICE killing of another US citizen

Outcry after ICE killing of another US citizen

Stephen Miller – a powerful figure who leads Trump’s hardline immigration policy – said on Tuesday that the agents may have breached “protocol” before the shooting.

Choose your listening speed

Get through articles 2x faster