Philippines’ Sara Duterte throws hat in the ring for 2028 presidential run

Philippine Vice-President Sara Duterte at a press conference in Metro Manila on Wednesday. Photo: EPA

Philippine Vice-President Sara Duterte announced on Wednesday she will run for president of the archipelago nation of 116 million in 2028.
Duterte, who is embroiled in a bitter feud with President Ferdinand Marcos Jnr , was impeached last year only to see the country’s Supreme Court throw the case out over procedural issues.

“I offer my life, my strength and my future in the service of our nation,” she said in announcing her candidacy. “I am Sara Duterte. I will run for president of the Philippines.”

The daughter of former president Rodrigo Duterte accused Marcos of corruption in her brief speech, adding he had failed to live up to his word during the brief alliance that saw them storm to a landslide victory in the 2022 presidential election.

“In the first few months of our terms, I already saw Bongbong Marcos Jnr’s lack of sincerity regarding the promises made during the campaign, as well as his sworn duty to the nation,” the vice-president said, using Marcos’ nickname.

The feud between the Duterte and Marcos clans, simmering within weeks of their election victory, exploded into public warfare in 2025.

12:56

What’s behind the apparent feud between the Marcos, Duterte clans in the Philippines?

What’s behind the apparent feud between the Marcos, Duterte clans in the Philippines?