Would you choose to take a 22-hour non-stop flight?

The world's longest commercial long-haul flight has been announced, a non-stop trek from Sydney to London that can take up to 22 hours.

Australian airline Qantas announced the direct flight route will start from October 2027, billing passengers approximately 20% more for the long-haul journey compared with a traditional layover.

The BBC's Harry Sekulich asks the public what they think, and if they would voluntarily pay more for the ultra long-haul?


Israel and Hezbollah agree ceasefire, US says, as more Lebanon strikes reported

Reuters Israeli strike seen from Nabatieh 19 June Reuters
Israeli air strikes overnight into Friday killed 47 people, Lebanon said

Israel and Hezbollah have agreed a ceasefire, a US official says, following intense Israeli air strikes in southern Lebanon that killed 47 people.

The latest agreement followed concerns that continued clashes, which also saw Hezbollah kill four Israeli soldiers in Lebanon, would undermine the deal to end the war between the US and Iran.

The Israeli military confirmed that a ceasefire was in effect, but later a spokesman said its forces would "continue to remove immediate threats


Pétanque player, 68, dies after being 'hit in head with metal boule'

Getty Images Three metal Pétanque boules sit apart from eachother on a gravel floor, all three are shining in the sunlight. Getty Images

A 68-year-old pétanque player has died after allegedly being hit with a metal boule during a dispute with a rival team in the French Atlantic resort of Mimizan.

The man was reportedly struck after an argument broke out between one team that regularly plays on the beach and another that plays in town.

The dispute started when the beach group asked to play in town while in search of shade during a heatwave, witnesses told local media.

An 81-year-old has been arrested


US to end funding of South Africa's HIV programmes over claims of Afrikaner persecution

Getty Images Cyril Ramaphosa and Donald Trump sit in arm chairs in the Oval Office. Gold decorations can be seen behind them. Ramaphosa is holding a sheaf of papers in his left hand and is gesticulating to Trump who is holding out his hand. Getty Images
Donald Trump confronted South Africa's Cyril Ramaphosa at the White House last year over claims that Afrikaners were being persecuted

The US government says it will stop funding programmes in South Africa intended to tackle the spread of HIV and Aids, linking the decision to the government's alleged failure to protect the white-minority Afrikaner community.

South Africa's health ministry responded by saying that though it had not been informed of this decision, it had "long been working on a self-reliance plan".

More

Continue reading...

Six-year-old Ebola patient taken from DR Congo hospital found and 'doing well'

Reuters Three healthcare workers are pictured in front of an ambulance, wearing masks, gloves and other protective gear Reuters
Ebola is spread by contact with bodily fluids

A six-year-old Ebola patient, who Congolese authorities were searching for after armed men stormed the hospital where she was being treated, has been found and is "doing well", a local health official has told the BBC.

On Wednesday, Dr Lubambo Maboko Gaston said that a girl and her mother had been taken by "very angry" men from a hospital in the eastern city of Butembo, two days previously.

It is unclear whether the men were known

Continue reading...

Italy's Meloni says Trump 'made up' story that she 'begged' him for photo at G7

'Neither I nor Italy ever beg': Meloni on Trump after 'false' anecdote

Italy's prime minister, Giorgia Meloni, has said she is astonished after President Donald Trump told Italian TV she had "begged" him for a picture with her, in comments that have provoked an open row between the two leaders.

Meloni has said his comments were entirely "made-up", and Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani has cancelled a trip to the US early next week.

The highly public exchange is an indication

Handout via REUTERS US President Donald Trump speaks to Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni on the sidelines of the G7 Summit in Évian-les-Bains, France, June 17
Continue reading...

Morocco captain Achraf Hakimi to stand trial for rape

Morocco captain Achraf Hakimi will stand trial for rape, French prosecutors have confirmed.

A woman accused the Paris St-Germain defender of raping her at his home in the French capital in 2023, when she was aged 24.

The public prosecutor's office in Nanterre, a western suburb of Paris, began a preliminary investigation in March 2023.

An investigating judge ordered a trial in February 2026 and French media report that Hakimi, 27, failed with a recent appeal


Boy, 12, wins hearts after trying to check sick chicken into Ethiopian hospital

Umer Chane Markos Abaye wears a green scarf and holds a brown chicken. He has a concerned look on his face Umer Chane
The video, filmed by a nurse at the hospital, captured Markos' concern for the chicken

Growing up in rural Ethiopia, 12-year-old Markos Abaye developed a deep affection for animals.

So when his beloved chicken fell sick earlier this month and did not respond to any at-home treatments, Markos popped his shoes on and did what made the most sense to him - he rushed the bird to the local hospital.

A video of the unlikely couple, recorded by a nurse at Denbecha Primary

Continue reading...

Billionaire Ambani's Jio announces what could be India's biggest share sale

Reliance updates/Youtube Mukesh Ambani speaks while looking into the camers Reliance updates/Youtube
Mukesh Ambani is one of the world's richest men with an estimated worth of $90.6bn according to Forbes

Jio Platforms, the telecom unit of billionaire Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Industries, has announced what analysts say could be one of India's biggest share sales.

The company's board has approved a draft prospectus for the initial public offering (IPO), Ambani said at Reliance's annual shareholder meeting on Friday.

India's largest telecom operator, which has

Continue reading...

Lebanon says Israeli strikes kill 18 as Israel says four soldiers killed by Hezbollah

Reuters Khadija Amara fills a jerrycan with water as she sits among the rubble of a house, which was damaged by an Israeli strike, in Qlaileh in the Tyre district, southern Lebanon Reuters

At least 18 people have been killed in southern Lebanon following a series of Israeli air strikes overnight, the country's health ministry has said - while the Israeli military says four of its soldiers were also killed.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said it had struck 80 targets linked to the Iran-backed armed group Hezbollah and killed "dozens" of its members.

It comes a day after the US and Iran signed a deal aimed at ending the conflict in the Middle East, including a permanent