Israel launches fresh strikes on Lebanon despite Trump criticism

Watch: Why is Trump furious with Netanyahu over strikes on Lebanon?

Israeli forces have carried out new strikes in southern Lebanon, state media say, despite renewed criticism from US President Donald Trump of Israel's actions in the country.

On Wednesday, Israeli jets struck the Nabatieh al-Fawqa area and the outskirts of neighbouring Kfar Tebnit, Lebanon's National News Agency (NNA) reported. The Israeli military has not yet commented, but has previously said it is targeting the Iran-backed armed group Hezbollah.

The


Equatorial Guinea government resigns after failing to meet targets

AFP via Getty Images Equatorial Guinea's Prime Minister Manuel Osa Nsue Nsua in a black suit and white shirt and tie AFP via Getty Images
Prime Minister Manuel Osa Nsue Nsua was appointed in 2024

Equatorial Guinea's government has resigned after failing to meet its objectives, Vice-President Teodoro Nguema Obiang Mangue said.

Obiang, who is also the son of President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, said the prime minister had presented the resignation of all members of the government because it had barely reached 10% of its targets.

He did not specify the targets but a statement by the ruling party said the president had observed that the

Continue reading...

Status quo at Jerusalem's holiest site under threat as Israeli nationalists flout rules

Reuters Muslim man prays outside the Dome of the Rock at the start of Ramadan 2025 Reuters
The gold-covered Dome of the Rock dominates the al-Aqsa mosque compound

"The whole land of Israel was promised to the children of God… and this is where we are going to build a new Temple for the entire humanity to come and pray together."

Those were the potentially incendiary words of Moshe Feiglin, a right-wing nationalist Israeli politician, who spoke to me as he came down from the al-Aqsa mosque compound in Jerusalem, where he had been praying and singing religious songs with a

Continue reading...

Japan raids ice cream giants over price-fixing allegations

AFP via Getty Images A stack of packaged Japanese ice cream, a hand holding one pack on top of three others. AFP via Getty Images
The investigation on alleged cartel pricing of ice cream comes as Japan faces record summer temperatures.

Japan's competition watchdog has raided some of the country's biggest ice cream makers for allegedly forming a cartel to raise the price of their products.

Some of the firms, including Meiji and Pocky maker Ezaki Glico, said this week that they have been subject to an "on-site inspection" by the Japan Fair Trade Commission (JFTC) over suspicions that they fixed the prices of frozen desserts.


Telegram challenges India ban over exam paper leak fears

Reuters Telegram app logo is seen in this illustration taken, August 27, 2024. Reuters
There are more than 150 million active Telegram users in India

Telegram has taken the Indian government to court over its decision to temporarily ban the messaging platform days before millions of students retake a crucial medical entrance examination.

The company challenged the decision on Wednesday, a day after officials blocked access to the app over concerns it had been used to distribute leaked exam papers.

But Telegram CEO Pavel Durov has called the ban a "mistake", arguing it would punish millions of users while doing little to stop those responsible

Continue reading...

Australian shock jock wins $12m payout after radio station tore up contract

Supplied A middle-aged man with a black baseball cap and grey beard and a blonde-haired younger woman smile at the camera Supplied
Kyle Sandilands and Jackie "O" Henderson before their on-air row

Australian shock jock Kyle Sandilands will pocket A$12m ($8.5m; £6.3m) after agreeing to settle a lawsuit against his former employer who cancelled his ten-year A$100m contract early.

Sandilands was sacked from top-rating KIIS FM breakfast programme the Kyle and Jackie O Show in March, after an on-air spat with his co-host Jackie Henderson, who


Brazil convicts Jair Bolsonaro's son of pursuing US help in father's legal battle

Reuters Brazilian lawmaker Eduardo Bolsonaro sits down, wearing a dark suit and blue tie Reuters

The son of jailed former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has been convicted by Brazil's highest court of pursuing US intervention during his father's coup trial last year.

Eduardo Bolsonaro, 41, was charged last year with lobbying US authorities to help the ex-president by imposing tariffs or sanctions on Brazil.

A former congressman in Brazil, Eduardo relocated to the US in 2025 before his father, who governed the country from January 2019 to December 2022, was found


The bikers battling extreme heat and armed conflict to smuggle Iranian fuel to Pakistan

BBC Mazaar is riding his small motorbike with canisters filled with fuel on the back of it. He's on a wide road in a semi-rural area with mountains in front of him and a few vehicles BBC
Mazaar (pictured) faces temperatures of up to 50C and risks his fuel deliveries catching fire and even exploding

Mazaar's small motorbike is so laden with plastic canisters filled with petrol that there's barely room for him to sit.

His worn-out bike is carrying five 70-litre oil containers, weighing roughly 600 pounds (272kg) in total.

The fuel hangs precariously from the sides of his bike, strapped on with rope and string.

He bought it at

Continue reading...

'We fear for our lives' - deadline looms for migrants to leave South Africa

Thuthuka Zondi / BBC Esnat Joseph, wearing a maroon woollen bobble hat and black jacket, sitting in front of a tent with her baby triplets - two dressed in yellow hoodies and one black. Thuthuka Zondi / BBC
Esnat Joseph said a gang of men came to her home in Durban to threaten the family - forcing her to flee with her triplets

South Africa has become a hostile place for undocumented migrants, as a deadline set by protesters for them to leave the country approaches.

"I am very scared and traumatised," Esnat Joseph, a 36-year-old Malawian woman, told the BBC as she tried to comfort her crying one-year-old triplets.

She fled her home in an informal

Continue reading...

India: Why a country of 1.4 billion is not in the football World Cup

NurPhoto via Getty Images A man rides a scooter past giant cutouts of Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo and Argentina's Lionel Messi displayed along a roadside in Kochi, India, on June 9, 2026, ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup. (Photo by Sivaram Venkitasubramanian/NurPhoto via Getty Images) NurPhoto via Getty Images
A scooter rider passes giant cutouts of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo in Kerala

Will India ever play at the Fifa World Cup?

The familiar lament that Indian football fans have learnt to live with is back after the "greatest show on earth" kicked off last week .

For those tracking the fortunes of the Blue Tigers - as the Indian men's national football team is called - over the years, the question is one of the biggest clichés as the country has never progressed beyond the preliminary

Continue reading...