Russian families use AI to 'resurrect' loved ones killed in Ukraine

BBC BBC
"The Special Military Operation has ended" and "Our heroes are coming home," read the billboards on the left

Rousing orchestral music plays over a video of a snowy Moscow street dotted with billboards celebrating an end to the war in Ukraine.

"The Special Military Operation is over," one fictional billboard reads, using the Kremlin-approved term for its war on Ukraine. "Our heroes are coming home."

Underneath, a beautiful, airbrushed woman pushing a stroller turns to see a man in military uniform

Continue reading...

Norway braces for verdict in rape trial of crown princess's son Høiby

Reuters Marius Borg Hoiby on his way to a meeting with his lawyer in Oslo in January Reuters
Marius Borg Høiby, seen here, in January will join the court session by video-link

When three judges in courtroom 250 deliver their verdict at Oslo District Court early on Monday, Marius Borg Høiby - the son of the crown princess of Norway - will find out the extent of his sentence.

Høiby, 29, will appear via video link because of unspecified health reasons, almost three months after his trial came to an end on 40 charges, including four counts

Continue reading...

Ticketmaster says Knicks fans won't be locked out of game after last-minute panic

Getty Images Rows of people mostly wearing jerseys in the Knicks colors of orange and blue throw their hands in the air, cheering a victory. Getty Images

Ticketmaster is seeking to reassure Knicks fans that they can still attend Saturday's Game 5 of the NBA finals in Texas, despite its limits on ticket purchases.

In a note on its website for the game, Ticketmaster said purchases by those living farther than 150mi (241km) from the San Antonio arena would be cancelled and refunded without notice. Fans coming from New York to see the Knicks take on the Spurs worried they would be locked out.

New York Governor Kathy Hochul posted

Continue reading...

Vincent's parents 'never say he's good enough' - so he turned to a middle-aged couple online

BBC / Andro Saini An illustration showing a pair of couple going live on their social media channel, who are surrounded by sad-looking young people handing their hearts and some flowers to the influencers BBC / Andro Saini
On social media, many young Chinese leave comments to "virtual parents", sharing stories with them and asking for blessings

During mealtimes, Vincent Zhang, a tech worker in Shanghai, has a habit of whipping out his phone to check on his "virtual parents": a middle-aged couple online, armed with an endless stream of warm words for their imaginary child.

In one of their most popular videos, the pair coos to the camera. "Are you tired from work and study lately

Continue reading...

US-Iran deal scheduled to be signed on Sunday, says Trump

Reuters US President Donald Trump speaks at the White House in Washington DC. Photo: 11 June 2026 Reuters

President Donald Trump has said a deal to end fighting between the US and Iran is scheduled to be signed on Sunday, after Iran cast doubt on the timing.

In a post on social media, Trump said the Strait of Hormuz, a key shipping route, would be "open to all" once the deal is agreed.

Pakistan, a key mediator, also said the deal was expected to be finalised within 24 hours and they were "preparing for the electronic signing".

Before Trump's comments,


Kidnapped Nigerian retired general dies in captivity

AFP via Getty Images A head and shoulders image of Rabe Abubakar wearing a military uniform. AFP via Getty Images
Retired Maj Gen Rabe Abubakar, pictured here in 2009, was spokesman for the army a decade ago

A retired Nigerian army general who had been kidnapped by gunmen in the country's north-west has died while being held captive, the military has said.

No group has said it was behind the kidnappings.

The abduction and death of Abubakar highlights the continuing security challenges facing parts of north-west Nigeria, where criminal gangs known locally as "bandits" frequently carry out kidnappings for

Continue reading...

Woman seriously injured in shark attack at Sydney beach

Reuters Police officers speak to people following a shark attack at Coogee Beach in Sydney, Australia. Photo: 13 June 2026 Reuters
The incident happened at Coogee Beach in Sydney

A woman has been seriously injured after being bitten by a shark at a beach in Sydney, police have said.

New South Wales Police said emergency services were called to Coogee Beach in the east of the city on Saturday morning.

The woman, 35, was "pulled from the water by members of the public who commenced first aid", police said, and suffered "serious arm and leg injuries".

She was then airlifted to hospital by helicopter. Several beaches


Trump's name being removed from Kennedy Center after judge order

Watch: Timelapse video shows scaffholding being erected as workers prepare to remove Trump's name

US President Donald Trump's name has been taken down from the front of the Kennedy Center in Washington DC, after a judge ordered its removal.

The performance arts venue said in a court filing it had now fully complied with the ruling and that Trump's name no longer appeared on its building, website or other materials.

The president's name had been added to the venue unlawfully, a federal judge found last month

AFP via Getty Images people gathered in front of Kennedy Center building, one holding an American flag and another holding a sign that says
Continue reading...

The costs and challenges facing the 2026 World Cup

The World Cup officially kicked off this week - but alongside the football, there are questions around heat, cost, the environmental impact and travel restrictions.

Married at First Sight Australia stars not told partners had drug and violence convictions

BBC A newlywed couple are seen looking out to sea on a beach, with a photo of the Australian flag in the background. BBC

Married at First Sight Australia stars say the show left them feeling unsafe and unprotected because their on-screen partners had criminal pasts which they were not told about, a BBC investigation can reveal.

It comes after the British version of the show, known to many as MAFS UK, was plunged into crisis after BBC Panorama reported rape allegations from two women contestants - allegations the men involved have denied.

One woman from last year's Australian series says she was not told the man she had been matched with had a

Continue reading...