Switzerland to open secret files on Auschwitz 'Angel of Death' Mengele

Ullstein Bild / Getty Black and white images of a man wearing a tie Ullstein Bild / Getty
Nazi SS doctor Josef Mengele sent as many as 400,000 people, most of them Jews, to their deaths

The Swiss Federal Intelligence Service has said it will finally open long-sealed files on the notorious Nazi war criminal Josef Mengele, but without saying when.

Mengele fled Europe after World War Two, but for years there have been rumours that he spent time in Switzerland, even though an international warrant was out for his arrest.

Historians have repeatedly requested

Continue reading...

Trump says 20-year nuclear programme suspension by Iran would be enough

BBC asks Trump if China will help open the Strait of Hormuz

US President Donald Trump has said he would accept a 20-year suspension by Iran of its nuclear programme, in what appears to be confirmation of a shift in position away from a demand for a total end to it.

Trump said it had to be a "real 20 years". Previously he has called on Iran to permanently cease enriching uranium - a stage in making a weapon - and to be prevented from ever acquiring nuclear

Reuters Donald Trump (L) stands on Air Force One speaking and gesturing to reporters holding microphones and phones

Alleged murder of Aboriginal girl highlights Australia's deep inequalities

Warning for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander readers: this article contains references to and images of someone who has died. This note has been added to respect cultural beliefs of these readers during mourning.

Who is Kumanjayi Little Baby and why has her death caused outrage in the outback?

In the past few weeks, flowers, messages and cuddly toys have grown like a creeper on the chain link fence at the entrance of Old Timers town camp in Australia's Northern Territory.

A little girl gets out of a car with her

A group of people, some wearing pink, sit on the grass and light candle lights during the vigil for the little girl's death.
Continue reading...

What China critics in Maga movement make of Trump's Beijing trip

Getty Images Trump holding Xi's arm during his visit to Beijing. Getty Images
Trump's tone towards President Xi has softened considerably.

When Donald Trump strode on to a stage at a campaign rally in Indiana in 2016, he made one thing clear: China was America's chief economic antagonist.

"We can't continue to allow China to rape our country," he told a crowd in Fort Wayne. "We have the cards. Don't forget it."

The anti-China rhetoric didn't let up - through a decade of rallies


Israel says it has killed Hamas commander in Gaza air strike

Getty Images People look on as a fire burns in a building in central Gaza City. Getty Images

Israel says it has killed Hamas commander Izz ad-Din al-Haddad, who it described as "one of the architects of the October 7 massacre", in an air strike on Gaza City.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defence Minister Yisrael Katz said in a joint statement that Haddad had been "responsible for the murder, kidnapping and injury of thousands of Israeli civilians and IDF [Israel Defense Forces] soldiers".

Three eyewitnesses told the BBC that a residential building known as Al-Mu'taz

Continue reading...

Israel and Lebanon agree to extend ceasefire, US state department says

EPA Lebanese army soldiers man a checkpoint in Beirut, Lebanon, on 14 May 2026 EPA
Lebanese army soldiers man a checkpoint in Beirut

Israel and Lebanon have agreed a 45-day extension to a shaky ceasefire, following two days of negotiations in Washington DC, the US state department said.

"We hope these discussions will advance lasting peace between the two countries, full recognition of each other's sovereignty and territorial integrity, and establishing genuine security along their shared border," said state department spokesman Tommy Pigott.

US President Donald Trump announced the truce on 16 April, but


US to seek death penalty for suspect in killing of Israeli embassy staff members

AFP via Getty Images dozens of lit candles on the sidewalk in front of two posterboards displaying photos of both the victims AFP via Getty Images
People attend a candlelight vigil for Yaron Lischinsky and Sarah Lynn Milgrim across from the White House in Washington, DC on 22 May 2025

The US government is seeking the death penalty for the two Israeli embassy staff members in Washington DC last year.

The US Attorney for the District of Columbia, Jeanine Pirro, on Friday filed a notice of intent to seek capital punishment for three out of 13 total charges against 31-year-old Elias Rodriguez. President Donald


Judge declares another mistrial in Harvey Weinstein New York rape charge

Getty Images Harvey Weinstein appears in Manhattan criminal court on May 13, 2026, in New York City. Getty Images

A judge has declared a mistrial in the rape case against Harvey Weinstein, after the jury in New York said it was deadlocked and unable to reach a verdict.

It marks the third time a New York jury has considered the case against the 74-year-old disgraced film mogul, who remains jailed on other charges.

The month-long trial was centred around whether Weinstein raped aspiring actress Jessica Mann in a hotel room more than a decade ago. He was initially convicted of raping her, before the


ICE releases wife of US soldier and Afghanistan veteran from detention

Courtesy of attorney Matthew Kozik A man and a woman, both wearing black, embrace and look towards the camera Courtesy of attorney Matthew Kozik

US Immigration and Customs Enforcement has released the wife of a US Army sergeant and Afghanistan veteran from detention, her lawyer confirmed to the BBC.

Deisy Rivera Ortega, who came to the US from El Salvador, was arrested on 14 April when she and her husband, Sgt Jose Serrano, went in for a scheduled immigration appointment in El Paso, Texas.

Serrano, who has served in the military for nearly 28 years, told the BBC that his wife's detention


New York Times defends journalist after Israel threatens to sue

Reuters New York Times sign on the front of the newspaper's building in Manhattan (file photo) Reuters
Israel's prime minister and foreign minister accused the New York Times of "hideous and distorted lies"

The New York Times has said libel action threatened against it by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over an article alleging sexual assaults against Palestinian detainees by Israeli security services is "without merit".

It responded after Netanyahu and his foreign minister issued a statement saying they had ordered the "initiation of a defamation lawsuit".

It follows the publication on Monday of the article which claimed there was "a pattern