Lebanon says two paramedics among 10 killed in Israeli strikes

EPA Smoke rises after an Israeli strike on a village in southern Lebanon, as seen from northern Israel (12 May 2026) EPA

Israeli air strikes have killed at least 13 people in southern Lebanon, state media say, where a ceasefire has failed to stop the war between Israel and the Lebanese armed group Hezbollah.

Overnight, six people were killed and seven others were injured when a house in Kfar Dounine was hit, according to Lebanon's state-run National News Agency (NNA).

On Tuesday afternoon, Lebanon's health ministry said two paramedics from the state-run Lebanese Civil Defense emergency service were killed and


Hamas 'weaponised' sexual violence in 7 October attacks, Israeli investigation says

Reuters Two women hug in grief at the site of the Nova festival attack, on 7 October 2025 Reuters
The report said sexual violence by Hamas and other attackers was systematic

An independent, Israeli investigation has published harrowing details of "systematic, widespread" sexual violence by Hamas and other Palestinian armed groups during the attacks on 7 October 2023, and against hostages.

The 300-page report concludes that rapes, sexual assault and sexual torture were intended "to maximize pain and suffering".

While the UN and others have published reports on sexual violence during the attacks – in which about 1,20

Continue reading...

South Africa's top court bars repeat asylum applications

Getty Images A silhouetted figure in a hat stands in line near the entrance of a government refugee centre in Johannesburg, South Africa - archive shot Getty Images
Home Affairs Minister Leon Schreiber says the refugee system is being abused

South Africa's highest court has ruled that foreign nationals cannot reapply for asylum once their application has been rejected.

The Constitutional Court said that allowing unlimited repeat applications without proper legislation in place could create a "never-ending cycle", preventing deportations and causing administrative chaos.

Leon Schreiber, the minister of home affairs in South Africa's coalition government, welcomed the ruling as a "major victory" against the "abuse" of the refugee

Continue reading...

Zelensky's ex-chief of staff in court as Ukraine corruption probe escalates

Reuters A man in a suit stands in court while a policeman looks on Reuters
Andriy Yermak said he had only one flat and one car, and his lawyer said the allegations were "baseless"

President Volodymyr Zelensky's former right-hand man Andriy Yermak appeared in a Kyiv court on Tuesday, after he was named by Ukraine's two anti-corruption agencies as a suspect in a money-laundering scheme.

Yermak's lawyer had earlier denounced as "baseless" allegations that the former head of the presidential office had been caught up in a corruption scandal surrounding a $10.

Continue reading...

Dali ship operator charged over deadly Baltimore bridge collapse

Getty Images The Dali cargo ship crashes into the Francis Scott Key Bridge Getty Images

Federal prosecutors have filed criminal charges against the owner of the cargo ship Dali, two years after the vessel struck Baltimore's Key Bridge, causing its collapse and killing six people.

Synergy Marine, the company that operated the ship, along with one of its employees, has been charged with conspiracy, obstruction and misconduct resulting in death, among other offences.

Prosecutors allege the company misled investigators about conditions on the ship and failed to disclose hazards and other safety concerns to the US Coast Guard


eBay rejects $55.5bn offer from GameStop

Getty Images eBay on a phone in the foreground with the GameStop logo in the background. Getty Images

Online marketplace eBay has rejected a $55.5bn (£40.9bn) takeover offer from video game retailer GameStop, calling it "unsolicited" and "neither credible nor attractive".

Analysts had expected the offer to be rejected as GameStop is much smaller than eBay, which said there was "uncertainty" over how the deal would be financed.

Although eBay has suffered in recent years, partly due to more competition from online sellers like Amazon, Etsy and Temu, it insisted its


US inflation jumps to 3.8% as energy costs surge from Iran war

Getty Images A man palms his forehead in frustration while filling his truck up with gasoline. Getty Images

US prices rose in April at their fastest rate since May 2023 as the impact of the war in Iran was increasingly felt by consumers.

A jump in the cost of gasoline and groceries pushed the consumer price index (CPI), showing the rate prices rose by in the past 12 months, to 3.8%.

It is the highest level since inflation hit 4% three years ago.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) said almost half of the rise was driven by surging


Uganda's president sworn in for record seventh term

Reuters Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni, in a white shirt and a white hat, salutes his supporters from an open-top black vehicle after his swearing-in ceremony - 12 May 2026 Reuters
Yoweri Museveni is the only president many Ugandans have lived under

Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni, 81, has been sworn in for a record seventh consecutive term following his landslide victory in disputed elections in January, extending his tenure as one of Africa's longest-serving rulers.

Heavy security, including armoured tanks, were deployed in the capital, Kampala, ahead of the inauguration in what police said were measures intended to maintain public order.

Museveni told the crowd that his new term should be regarded as a

Continue reading...

EU needs to delay social media access for children - von der Leyen

AFP Ursula von der Leyen introducing EU plans for children's online safety AFP
Ursula von der Leyen introducing EU plans for children's online safety

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen has proposed a "social media delay" for children in Europe and has said new legislation could be put forward in months.

in Copenhagen that an expert panel was due to come up with steps on how to protect minors online by July.

Several countries in Europe and around the world have already introduced social media bans for minors, and von der Leyen did not rule that out.

"The discussion


Mexico cancels plans to end school year early for World Cup

Sashenka Gutierrez/EPA/Shuttersto A mother picks up her children from an elementary school in Mexico City. She is flanked by a smaller boy, who is carrying a backpack, and a bigger boy, who is carrying a bag in his hand. Other children are walking towards them. Sashenka Gutierrez/EPA/Shuttersto

The Mexican government has cancelled plans to end the school year more than a month early to ease traffic during the Fifa World Cup and an anticipated heatwave.

Mexico is due to co-host the football tournament with the United States and Canada from 11 June to 19 July.

The reversal comes after an outcry by parents who warned that it would disrupt their children's studies.

Many families also said that they had been thrown into a tailspin, trying to arrange for weeks of childcare