Trump's hopes for an Iran peace deal come with caveats

Reuters President Donald Trump at the White House on 6 May 2026 Reuters

Donald Trump's pause on a short-lived "Project Freedom" to guide ships through the Strait of Hormuz, as he claimed progress had been made towards clinching a "Complete and Final Agreement" with Iran, soothed oil markets and sent hopes soaring of a breakthrough.

But expectations were soon tempered by the US president himself.

Iran said on Wednesday it was reviewing a new proposal from Washington, after US media cited unnamed American officials as saying that the two sides were closing in on a one-page memorandum


CNN founder Ted Turner dies at 87

Getty Images Ted Turner speaks at UNICEF's Evening for Children First to Honor Ted Turner on March 30, 2016 in Atlanta, Georgia Getty Images

Media mogul Ted Turner, who pioneered the modern 24-hour news culture when he launched the CNN channel, has died at the age of 87, the network has announced.

In 1980, Turner launched Cable News Network as the first dedicated rolling news channel, which soon became a central part of the media landscape.

"Ted was an intensely involved and committed leader, intrepid, fearless and always willing to back a hunch and trust his own judgement," CNN CEO and chairman Mark

Continue reading...

Trump pauses Hormuz plan 50 hours after he announced it - what happened?

US Central Command A US Navy sailor is seen holding a pair of binoculars to their eyes on the bridge of a warship in an image published by US Central Command US Central Command

US President Donald Trump has said the military operation to guide stranded merchant ships through the Strait of Hormuz will be paused just two days after he announced it.

Trump declared on Sunday that "Project Freedom" would begin the next morning in an attempt to unblock the crucial waterway which Tehran has effectively closed since the start of the US-Israel war with Iran.

Iran's threats to ships using the strait - through which some 20% of the world's oil and gas flows - has led

Continue reading...

Watch: Passengers evacuated from virus-hit cruise ship off Cape Verde

The Dutch foreign ministry confirmed that a British, German and Dutch national had now been taken from the virus-hit ship.

Orphaned baby hippo to be hand-reared by keepers at Kenya sanctuary

Basillioh Rukanga Nairobi

Sheldrick Wildlife Trust/X A baby hippo lies beside a man, the hippo covered with a red blanket and man wrapped in an orange blanket with green and purple patterns. Sheldrick Wildlife Trust/X
The baby hippo has stayed close to its keepers

A baby hippo found desperately nudging its dead mother at a lake in Kenya over the weekend is now being hand-reared at a wildlife sanctuary after being rescued.

The calf, which has been named Bumpy, was "just days old" when it became orphaned, according to Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, a charity whose keepers are now taking care of it.

The Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS), which rescued the calf

Continue reading...

Massive Alaska megatsunami was second largest ever recorded

Photo by Cyrus Read/U.S. Geological Survey An icy expanse of sea runs through a narrow passage between mountains. Much of the steep sides of the mountains are stripped of green vegetation revealing grey scarred rock. The tops of the mountains are scattered with snow and ice glitters in the fjord below. Photo by Cyrus Read/U.S. Geological Survey
Aerial view of the August 2025 landslide and tsunami near South Sawyer Glacier in Alaska

A massive 'megatsunami' wave created when part of an Alaskan mountain crumbled into the sea is the second tallest ever recorded – and a reminder of the risks posed by melting glaciers, say scientists.

Last summer a giant wave swept through a remote fjord in southeast Alaska leaving destruction in its wake.

The event went largely unreported at the time, but a new scientific analysis

Continue reading...

Robot wars - what an operation in Ukraine tells us about the battlefield of the near future

Robots vs. robots – the future of warfare?

The battlefield in Ukraine could soon feature more robot than human soldiers - that is the startling claim made by a Ukrainian-British military start-up.

The BBC visited UFORCE at its London premises, which are unbranded and discreet, a measure the company says is intended to protect it from potential Russian sabotage.

I wanted to know more about the company because of its involvement in what Ukraine says was an unprecedented military operation: enemy territory being seized using only robots and drones

United24 Robots, drones and trucks in a studio setting
Continue reading...

Russia ignores Ukraine's unilateral ceasefire and attacks kindergarten

Suspilne Sumy A burnt-out building Suspilne Sumy
A kindergarten in the Sumy region was hit on Wednesday morning, local authorities said

Volodymyr Zelensky has accused Russia of breaching a unilateral ceasefire announced by Ukraine by launching a wave of drone attacks on several cities.

The Ukrainian president said Russia had carried out "active hostilities and terrorist shelling", targeting the front line as well as firing dozens of drones and missiles at civilian areas.

In the Sumy border region, one woman was killed when a kindergarten was hit on Wednesday morning, local authorities said.


German police raid neo-Nazi criminal youth groups

Reuters Police in balaclavas and dark coloured uniforms Reuters
Police took part in raids in 12 states across Germany (file pic)

Police have raided around 50 homes and other locations, targeting people suspected of involvement in far-right criminal youth groups that have recently emerged in Germany.

Prosecutors said the suspects were believed to be part of two groups, "Jung & Stark" (JS), or Young and Strong, and "Deutsche Jugend Voran" (DJV), which means Forwards German Youth.

No arrests were made in Wednesday's raids, which


China calls for Strait to be reopened 'as soon as possible' in Iran talks

Anadolu via Getty Images Abbas Araqchi and Wang Yi shaking hands as they pose for a photo Anadolu via Getty Images
This is Iranian foreign minister Abbas Araqchi's (L) first trip to China since the US-Israeli war with Iran

Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi has called for the Strait of Hormuz to be reopened "as soon as possible" in talks with his Iranian counterpart.

The pair met in Beijing on Wednesday on what is Iranian foreign minister Abbas Araqchi's first trip to China since the Iran war began.

Wang Yi also told Araqchi that achieving a lasting ceasefire was an "urgent priority",