Austrian goes on trial accused of plotting attack on Taylor Swift concert

Reuters Two men suspected of being Islamic State (IS) supporters, who were planning an attack on Taylor Swift's Vienna concert in 2024, are escorted by security personnel as they arrive in a courtroom for their trial in Wiener Neustadt Reuters
Beran A was led into court in Wiener Neustadt escorted by masked security officials

A 21-year-old Austrian man has admitted plotting a jihadist attack on a Taylor Swift concert in Vienna in August 2024.

The man, named only as Beran A, also admitted to being part of a terrorist organisation, although he denied other charges including involvement in planning an attack in the Islamic holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia.

The state prosecutor told the court in Wiener Neustadt near Vienna that police had found

Continue reading...

Russian superyacht sails through Strait of Hormuz despite blockade

Reuters The 465-foot superyacht Reuters
The multi-deck luxury boat valued at $500m (£370m) transited the Gulf waterway at the weekend

A superyacht linked to one of Russian President Vladimir Putin's key allies has sailed through the Strait of Hormuz, despite the ongoing blockade of the critical shipping channel.

The 142m-long (465 feet) Nord luxury boat, linked to sanctioned Russian billionaire Alexey Mordashov, travelled from Dubai to Muscat, Oman over the weekend, one

Continue reading...

Inside Trump press dinner shooting suspect's court appearance

BBC reports from Washington DC, where Cole Tomas Allen was charged with attempting to assassinate Donald Trump.

IS claims responsibility for Nigeria attack that killed 29 people

Adamawa State Government A group of men and officials looking on at the burnt-out remnants of motorbikes Adamawa State Government
A delegation from the state government visited the scene of the attack in Guyaku village, which is said to have lasted several hours

Gunmen have killed at least 29 people in an attack on a village in Nigeria's north-eastern Adamawa state, local officials say.

The Islamic State group (IS) has said it was behind the attack, without specifying its motive.

Authorities and local residents say the militants raided a football pitch where people had been gathering and opened fire at random,

Continue reading...

Suspect charged with attempted assassination of Trump at Washington dinner

Shaimaa Khalil and Kwasi Gyamfi Asiedu , in court in Washington DC and
Regan Morris , in Torrance, California

A shotgun, a handgun and three knives: Inside Washington gunman’s court appearance

A California man has been charged with attempting to assassinate US President Donald Trump after trying to storm a gala event with weapons on Saturday night.

Cole Tomas Allen, 31, was also charged with two firearms offences when he appeared in court in Washington DC on Monday. He did not enter a plea.

He

Infographic showing the suspect’s movement inside the Hilton hotel as he rushed past a security checkpoint. A red arrow traces the path from the hallway, through a security gate, and towards a staircase. There are ten figures shown around the security checkpoint and the path of the suspect passes between them. Labels note that the suspect was stopped before reaching the stairs, which a dotted line shows lead down to the doors of the International Ballroom.

US political violence generates a familiar cycle - this time it's in overdrive

Trump: How shooting at White House correspondents' dinner unfolded

For many in the ballroom at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner on Saturday night, the scene was painfully familiar. Shots fired, confusion and panic, and a sense that the normal order of things had been violently interrupted.

Erika Kirk, whose husband, the conservative activist Charlie Kirk, was shot and killed last September, was in tears. Congressman Steve Scalise, majority leader in the House of Representatives who suffered life-threatening injuries in a shooting at a

Reuters Shattered glass from a barrier is seen closeup at the Washington Hilton hotel. Some is on brown carpeting in front of it and a staircase is behind the glass

At least four killed and dozens injured in Indonesia train crash

Kompas.com/Nurpini Evacuation of passengers on the train involved in an accident at East Bekasi Station, near Jakarta, Indonesia Kompas.com/Nurpini
The total number of injuries is still to be confirmed, according to officials

At least four people were killed and dozens injured when two trains collided outside the Indonesian capital Jakarta on Monday.

State media report that a stationary commuter train was hit from behind by a long-distance commuter train arriving on the same track.

The final number of casualties is still to be confirmed and rescue efforts are under way to free a number of passengers trapped, officials said.

Footage shown on local media


Canada's Carney launches a sovereign wealth fund. What is it?

AFP via Getty Images An employee works in the Northern Graphite mine plant in Lac-des-Îles, Quebec AFP via Getty Images

Canada is launching a government-owned investment fund to pay for major development projects in the country, Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced.

The Canada Strong Fund, a first for the country, will invest in energy, infrastructure, mining, agriculture and technology, with an initial contribution of C$25bn ($18.4bn; £13.5bn).

The fund will also allow Canadians who have "a bit of extra money" to invest into it directly

Continue reading...

Melania Trump urges ABC to 'take stand' on Jimmy Kimmel after widow joke

Getty Images Melania Trump attends the annual White House Correspondents' Association dinner at a hotel in Washington DC Getty Images

Melania Trump has criticised late-night host Jimmy Kimmel over a joke in which he called her an "expectant widow" just days before a shooting incident at the White House Correspondents' Dinner she attended with the president.

The first lady called Kimmel's remarks "hateful and violent", urging his network, ABC, to take action against his "atrocious behavior".

A gunman opened fire at Saturday's dinner, an attack authorities say may have targeted members of the Trump administration.


Venice opera house drops incoming music director after nepotism remarks

Getty Images Beatrice Venezi Getty Images
Venezi said that those who opposed her were "afraid of change, of renewal".

Venice's prestigious La Fenice opera house has sacked its incoming music director Beatrice Venezi, months before she was supposed to take up the position.

In an interview with an Argentine daily, Venezi, 36, insinuated that jobs in the opera orchestra were "practically passed down from father to son", angering musicians.

"I have no godfathers. That is the difference. I do not come from