Partner of US influencer who died in Zanzibar speaking to police as witness

Ashlee Jenae / Instagram Ashly Robinson in a blue top, holding a phone as she takes a selfie of herself Ashlee Jenae / Instagram
Ashly Robinson had been updating followers on her trip to Tanzania saying she was having a dream holiday

The partner of US influencer Ashly Robinson, who died last week while on holiday with him on the Tanzanian islands of Zanzibar, has had his passport "withheld", the local police said in a statement.

Joe McCann, 45, is understood to be speaking to police as a witness. No arrests have been made and the police had previously told local media that McCann was not suspected of wrongdoing.

Continue reading...

Accusers seek justice after unwanted explicit messages from Congressman Eric Swalwell

CBS Evening News Annika Albrecht speaks in a brown shirt CBS Evening News
Annika Albrecht told CBS News Swalwell sent her sexually inappropriate photos

Two women who have accused Congressman Eric Swalwell of sending unwanted explicit photos say they are grateful he is facing consequences now and leaving Congress after acting with impunity for years.

Annika Albrecht and Ally Sammarco told the BBC's US partner CBS News they feel vindicated. But Albrecht said there is more to be done.

"For me, justice won't be until he can't ever harm a woman ever again, and he

Continue reading...

JD Vance defends backing 'great guy' Orbán's campaign after landslide defeat

Reuters A man holds his thumb in the air while another man pushes him in the back from the right Reuters
The US vice-president defended last week's visit but said he was sure he could work with Péter Magyar

US Vice-President JD Vance has insisted he was right to stage a two-day campaign visit to back Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán five days before he was voted out of office by opposition party Tisza's landslide victory.

Insisting Orbán was a "great guy" who did a "very good job", Vance told Fox News he was "one of the

Continue reading...

US blockade of Iran ports irresponsible and dangerous, China says

Reuters A vessel in the Strait of Hormuz, off the coast of Oman’s Musandam province, on 12 April Reuters

China has called the US naval blockade of Iranian ports "irresponsible and dangerous".

Beijing's foreign ministry said the move would "undermine the already fragile ceasefire agreement" and further jeopardise the safety of ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz, a critical waterway Iran effectively closed in response to US-Israeli strikes.

The blockade came into force on Monday, a day after peace talks between the US and Iran broke down in Pakistan.

US President Donald Trump has said the measure is intended to


Hamas rejects Gaza disarmament plan, Palestinian official says

Reuters Masked Palestinian gunmen in fatigues stand in a line in Gaza (07/02/26) Reuters
The Gaza ceasefire came into effect in October but is yet to move to its next stage

Hamas has rejected the disarmament plan of a top figure in President Donald Trump's Gaza peace efforts, a senior Palestinian official familiar with the negotiations has told the BBC.

He accused Nickolay Mladenov, the high representative for Gaza on the US-led Board of Peace, of bias towards Israel. Last month, Mladenov outlined a framework for Gaza's demilitarisation as part of the second phase of the ceasefire deal agreed by Hamas


Cameroon separatists to pause fighting ahead of Pope visit

AFP via Getty Images A Catholic worshipper at the Saint Joseph Catherdral in Bamenda, holding a Mass book with the image of the Pope on it. Only the worshippers hands and partial clothing is seen. AFP via Getty Images
Catholics in Cameroon are preparing for the pontiff's visit later which starts on Wednesday

Anglophone separatists in Cameroon have announced a period of "safe travel passage" and halted fighting ahead of Pope Leo XIV's visit to the conflict‑hit region this week.

Leaders of several armed and secessionist groups said the three‑day measure was in recognition of the "profound spiritual importance" of the papal visit, which starts on Wednesday, and the need to safeguard civilian life.

In a statement from Unity

Continue reading...

French woman, 86, held by ICE after moving to US to reunite with long-lost love

Getty Images A warehouse used by ICE in the state of Utah Getty Images
A warehouse used as an ICE detention centre in the state of Utah (file pic)

An 86-year-old French woman who moved to the US last year after rekindling a 1960s romance is being detained at an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) centre in the state of Louisiana.

The son of Marie-Thérèse, from the city of Nantes, sounded the alarm after his mother was arrested in Anniston, Alabama, earlier in April


Sixteen injured after ex-student opens fire at high school in Turkey

Reuters An armoured police vehicle, an ambulance and a vehicle for transporting bodies are parked at the entrance of a school Reuters
The local governor says the school where the shooting happened was considered safe

At least 16 people have been injured after an ex-student opened fire at a high school in south-eastern Turkey.

The attacker, who was in his late teens, fired "indiscriminately with a shotgun" before killing himself with the weapon, local governor Hasan Şildak said.

Those injured include 10 students, four teachers, a cafeteria worker and a police officer, he said.

The incident happened at around 0


Retrial over death of Argentina legend Maradona to begin

Getty Images Diego Maradona smiling as head coach of Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata Getty Images
Fans of Maradona held a banner at the first court case saying "Justice for God"

A retrial into the death of the football great Diego Maradona, who died aged 60 after suffering heart failure, starts on Tuesday.

The first trial in May 2025 collapsed after one of the three judges on the case allegedly allowed unauthorised filming in court for a documentary.

Maradona's medical team are accused of failing to administer proper medical care, and seven people will be tried for homicide

Continue reading...

Police officers among seven arrested over deadly Haiti stampede

Getty Images Aerial image of Haiti's Citadelle Laferriere Getty Images
The incident took place at a historic fortress in the country's north (file photo)

Seven people have been arrested in connection with a deadly stampede at a popular tourist destination in Haiti, the country's national police force says.

The incident took place on Saturday during an annual cultural festivity at the Laferrière Citadel, a Unesco World Heritage site in northern Haiti.

The authorities initially reported that 30 people had been killed but this number has been revised down to 25.