Melania Trump denies ties to Jeffrey Epstein and urges hearing for survivors

Watch Melania Trump's full statement on Jeffrey Epstein

First Lady Melania Trump has denied connections to Jeffrey Epstein, telling reporters at the White House that any claims linking the two "need to end today".

In a surprise announcement on Thursday, the first lady called for congressional hearings for survivors of Epstein's sex trafficking.

She also denied online rumours that Epstein introduced her to Donald Trump, calling them "mean-spirited attempts to defame my reputation".

It is unclear what prompted the announcement.

There was no

US Department of Justice An image of an email exchange between

Hot in the city: Energy crisis tests Singapore's air-con addiction

Getty Images An alley in Singapore lined with dozens of air conditioning units Getty Images
Singapore is infamous in Asia for its widespread use of air-conditioning

Singapore - infamous for its widespread use of air-conditioning - has told government employees to bring up the temperature in offices to at least 25C (77F) as it grapples with rising energy prices caused by the Iran war.

The city-state's public offices will also install power-efficient technology like LED lights and smart sensors to help conserve energy.

Singapore joins other countries in South East Asia that have taken steps

Continue reading...

Israel to hold direct talks with Lebanon but no ceasefire, Netanyahu says

AFP via Getty Images Rescuers clear rubble in Beirut AFP via Getty Images
Israel launched a blitz of air strikes on Lebanon on Wednesday, hitting over 100 targets in 10 minutes

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has ordered his government to begin direct talks with Lebanon, he said in a statement on Thursday.

Netanyahu said the talks would focus on the disarmament of Hezbollah, the Iran-backed Lebanese political and militant group, and establishing peaceful relations.

A US State Department official confirmed it would host a meeting next week "to discuss ongoing ceasefire negotiations

Continue reading...

US has let in 4,499 refugees since October - all but three were South African

Reuters A man wearing sunglasses on his head with his arm around a woman. They are standing on the left and each holding a mini American flag. To their right, is an older woman. Behind her is a man. The background appears to be a black curtain. Reuters
The first group of white South Africans granted refugee status arrived in the US in May last year

President Donald Trump's overhaul of US refugee policies has created a major shift in the number and nationalities of people admitted to the country, US government data shows.

Since October 2025, 4,499 refugees were resettled in the US, according to the Refugee Processing Center. All, except three from Afghanistan, were South African.

In the last full fiscal year of the Biden administration, which

Continue reading...

Melania Trump: 'I never had a relationship with Epstein'

The first lady went on to say, 'I am not Epstein's victim. Epstein did not introduce me to Donald Trump'.

UK says Russia ran submarine operation over cables and pipelines

Thomas Copeland , BBC Verify and
Frank Gardner , Security correspondent

Ministry of Defence A UK Ministry of Defence ship in waters Ministry of Defence
File photo of frigate HMS St Albans deployed to track the Russian submarine

Three Russian submarines conducted a "covert" operation over cables and pipelines in waters north of the UK, Defence Secretary John Healey said.

A British warship and aircraft were deployed to deter the "malign" activity by Moscow and there was "no evidence" of any damage to UK infrastructure in the Atlantic, he added.

Addressing Russian President Vladimir Putin directly, Healey

Continue reading...

Lebanon thought there was a ceasefire - then Israel unleashed deadly blitz

Hugo Bachega , Middle East correspondent, Beirut ,
Samantha Granville , Beirut and

EPA/Shutterstock A Lebanese army soldier stands next to a destroyed residential building the day after an Israeli airstrike in the Ain Mreisseh neighbourhood of Beirut EPA/Shutterstock
Israel's attacks took the country by surprise on Wednesday

The guns were supposed to have fallen silent.

It was, after all, just hours after US President Donald Trump had announced that a two-week ceasefire had been agreed to halt the war in the Middle East.

But just as the region was breathing a sigh of relief, Israeli jets conducted a 10-minute blitz across Lebanon - a massive

Continue reading...

'Endless fears': Even if fighting stops, the damage to Iran's children will endure

WANA via Reuters A woman with her child stands behind police tape next to rubble and debris on a street and looks at the aftermath of an Israeli and the U.S. strike on a police station, 2 March 2026. WANA via Reuters
A woman and her child look at the aftermath of a US-Israeli air strike on a police station in Tehran in early March

The war is inside his head now. A slamming door or cutlery being dropped makes him jump. The ceasefire doesn't change that.

"Before the war, I had no stress at all," says Ali. "But now even the smallest sound causes my brain to react very badly."

Although he is only 15, Ali – not his real name


French far-right leader romantically linked to Italian princess

EPA Jordan Bardella and Maria Carolina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies EPA
Jordan Bardella and Princess Maria Carolina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies reportedly met during the Grand Prix in May last year

France's far-right presidential hopeful Jordan Bardella is in a relationship with Italian socialite Princess Maria Carolina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, according to celebrity magazine Paris Match.

In what has all the hallmarks of a staged "scoop", this week's front page carries photographs of the couple taken recently on holiday in Corsica with the headline "The idyll that no-one expected.


Amazon to end support for older Kindles, prompting user outcry

AFP via Getty Images Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, in dark blue blazer with light blue shirt, posing on-stage in 2011 with a Kindle Touch AFP via Getty Images
Amazon founder Jeff Bezos launched the Kindle Touch in 2011

Amazon has told owners it will soon stop supporting older Kindle models - a move which has left some users outraged.

In emails from the tech giant, affected users were thanked for being a "longtime Kindle customer" but told devices released during or before 2012 would no longer receive updates from 20 May.

The move will mean owners of older Kindles, including its earliest models such as the Kindle Touch and some Kindle

Continue reading...