King Charles and Queen Camilla's state visit to US to go ahead in April

Reuters King Charles and US President Donald Trump at Windsor Castle, September 2025 in Windsor Castle. Both are wearing dark suits.
Reuters
President Trump has spoken of his warm relationship with King Charles

King Charles and Queen Camilla will meet US President Donald Trump in late April, as a state visit to the United States has been confirmed by Buckingham Palace.

But the King is not expected to meet his US-based son, the Duke of Sussex, during his stay, the BBC understands.

The US trip has been anticipated for some time, but such visits are carried out on behalf of the UK government - and an official announcement appeared

Continue reading...

Wolf bites woman in shock German attack in Hamburg shopping street

Universal Images Group via Getty Images A wolf in woodland Universal Images Group via Getty Images
(File pic) Several sightings of the wolf were reported to police before the woman was bitten

A woman has been bitten by a wolf in a major shopping street in Hamburg, according to German authorities.

The highly unusual attack took place in the bustling Grosse Bergstrasse in Hamburg Altona, near an inner-city Ikea store on Monday evening.

The woman appears to have tried to lead the disoriented animal away from the shopping street. The wolf then bit the woman's face, according to


Iran using children in security roles in war, reports and witnesses say

Majid Asgaripour/WANA/Reuters A young person wearing a balaclava, fatigues and a helmet sporting an Iranian flag looks off camera, with blurred military figures in the background. Majid Asgaripour/WANA/Reuters
A member of Iranian volunteer militia (Basij) attends a march in Tehran in January 2025, before the current war

The death of an 11-year-old Iranian boy reportedly in an air strike while manning a security checkpoint alongside his father in Tehran has thrown focus on a new initiative to recruit children into the security services.

Alireza Jafari's mother Sadaf Monfared told the municipality-run newspaper Hamshahri that the pair had been helping Basij volunteer militia patrols and checkpoints to


Russian oil tanker docks in Cuba ending near-total blockade

Getty Images The Anatoly Kolodkin oil tanker, a black and white large vessel, is seen in the ocean from the port of Matanzas Getty Images
The Anatoly Kolodkin oil tanker docked in Cuba on Tuesday

A Russian-owned tanker carrying an estimated 730,000 barrels of crude oil has docked on the northern coast of Cuba, ending a near-total fuel blockade by the US on the communist-run island.

The tanker's arrival marks the first crude oil shipment to dock in one of Cuba's ports since early January.

It follows an apparent softening in Washington's oil blockade, after President Trump said last weekend that


At least 16 killed, thousands displaced by gang attack in rural Haiti

Giles Clarke/Getty Images Aerial view of Artibonite region north of Port-au-Prince. Photo taken on 11 September, 2023 Giles Clarke/Getty Images
Gang violence has expanded in recent years from the capital to rural areas of Artibonite

Police are trying to reach a gang-controlled area in central Haiti where at least 16 people have been killed in a series of attacks over the weekend.

While so far only 16 fatalities have been confirmed by police, a local journalist spoke of "around 20 dead", while one human rights group warned that the number of fatalities could be as high as 70.

Local rights activists said the


Kissing a woman's hand can be sexual assault, Spanish court finds

Alamy A man kissing a woman's hand Alamy
Two of the magistrates in the case said the incident had not been a case of sexual assault

Spain's Supreme Court has ruled that a man kissing the hand of a woman without her consent can constitute sexual assault.

In a case that dates back to 2023, a man approached a woman at a bus stop in Madrid, kissed her hand and made gestures to suggest she follow him and that he would pay her.

A court found the man guilty of sexual assault and fined him


China bans storing cremated remains in empty 'bone ash apartments'

Getty Images Several orange and white high-rise apartment buildings stand in front of modern high-rise buildings in Beijing Getty Images
Empty high-rise properties known as 'bone ash apartments' have become popular places for Chinese mourners to store ashes. Pictured is a file photo of flats in China.

The Chinese government is set to ban people from storing the cremated remains of their loved ones in empty apartments instead of paying for expensive cemetery plots.

The new law will put an end to "bone ash apartments", which have risen in popularity as spaces in cemeteries remain scarce.

Low property prices in the country mean that


Teen cyclist killed at Road World Championships not found for 82 minutes

A cyclist who was killed during the Road World Championships was not found for 82 minutes after a crash, investigators have found.

Switzerland's Muriel Furrer, 18, died after crashing during the junior road race in Zurich in her home country in 2024.

The investigation by the Zurich Public Prosecutors' Office concluded there was "no evidence of criminal conduct or negligence on the part of the organiser".

Furrer left the road in wet conditions, on a course close to where she grew up,


Sexual violence part of 'everyday life' in parts of Sudan, charity says

Barbara Plett Usher Africa correspondent

Anadolu via Getty Images Women carrying firewood at Al Afad camp which hosts displaced people from the Darfur and Kurdufan regions Anadolu via Getty Images
Sexual violence has become common even in areas not experiencing active conflict

Rape and sexual violence remain "part of everyday life" in areas of Sudan even when fighting in the country's civil war has moved elsewhere, according to a new report by medical charity Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF).

Calling rape a "defining feature" of the conflict, it says sexual assault is overwhelmingly carried out by armed men and is often accompanied by acts of brutality and

Continue reading...

Eurovision Song Contest launches first-ever Asia edition

Getty Images Eurovision 2025 winner JJ raises a clear trophy Getty Images
Eurovision has grown into the world's longest running international music competition

Known for its glitzy stage costumes and sometimes outlandish performances, the Eurovision Song Contest is now launching its first ever Asia edition.

Broadcasters from 10 countries in the region, including South Korea, Bhutan, Thailand and the Philippines have confirmed that they will be taking part. According to the contest's website, which lists the participating countries, there are "more to follow".

Countries will first host their own national selections before the grand