Beirut evacuees 'sleeping in tents and cars'

Some residents in the Beirut suburb of Dahieh have left their homes amid ongoing air strikes by Israel.

Flight paths squeezed as Iran conflict closes more airspace

Lucy Hooker Business reporter

Getty Images Close up shot of Qantas aircraft in the air overhead, silhouetted against an orange sky Getty Images

The closure of airspace over the southern half of Azerbaijan is putting additional pressure on airlines scrambling to respond to disruption caused by the conflict in the Gulf.

Flight traffic had already been severely disrupted in a region which in normal times acts as a significant hub for the global airline industry.

Aviation expert John Strickland said there was now a "very tight range of options for airlines" trying to navigate the current situation.

Western airlines have had to avoid Russian airspace, including Siberia, since the invasion

Continue reading...

'Massive' numbers killed by gunmen in latest Nigeria attack, senator tells BBC

Makuochi Okafor , BBC Africa, Lagos and

Natasha Booty

Getty Images A silhouette of a man holding a rifle at nighttime. His face, clothes and identity are not distinguishable. Getty Images
Attackers struck at night during the Ramadan fast (stock image)

A Nigerian senator has told the BBC that "massive" numbers of civilians were killed by armed men who attacked their village in Borno state on Wednesday, although he did not have the precise figure.

"The number of people killed actually is very massive but we don't know the exact number, because I rely on the information from the chairman of the local government and the locals there,

Continue reading...

Israeli troops push into Lebanon for yet another war with Iran's proxy Hezbollah

Lucy Williamson Middle East correspondent, Israel-Lebanon border

AFP via Getty Images Smoke rises from bombed out buildings. AFP via Getty Images
Smoke rising from the southern Lebanese village of Odaisseh near the border with Israel

Beside Israel's northern border fence, the bursts of machine-gun fire from inside Lebanon are loud and long, as new Israeli forces push in to take strategic positions near the border.

The regular rumble of air strikes echoes over the shattered remains of Shia villages, destroyed during Israel's last ground war there in 2024.

A senior military official said

Continue reading...

US economy unexpectedly sheds 92,000 jobs in February

Natalie Sherman Business reporter

Bloomberg via Getty Images A worker carries materials outside of a new home under construction at the Lilac Ridge community by Lennar Homes in Vacaville, California, US, on Wednesday, Oct. 8, 2025. Bloomberg via Getty Images

The number of jobs in the US economy fell last month, an unexpected contraction that has renewed questions about whether the labour market in the US might be starting to crack.

Payrolls in the US dropped by 92,000 and the unemployment rate ticked up to 4.4%, according to the latest official figures, surprising analysts who had expected hiring to remain stable.

It marked the biggest monthly job loss since October, when the US government shut down, and


Indonesia to ban social media and other online platforms for under 16s

Lesthia Kertopati , BBC Indonesia and

Kathryn Armstrong

Getty Images Muslim Girl wearing religious dress and hijab using mobile phone at public park outdoor Getty Images
The government says it will start implementing the ban from 28 March

Indonesia says it will ban social media and other popular online platforms for children under 16, becoming the latest country to introduce restrictions aimed at protecting young people from online abuse.

Meutya Hafid, the country's communications and digital affairs minister, announced that accounts for under 16s on "high risk" platforms would be deactivated from 28 March.

"This will start with platforms such as


Watch: How war in Iran may affect food and fuel prices

The BBC's Nick Marsh examines how unrest in the Middle East will impact living costs around the world.

US and Venezuela agree to resume diplomatic ties after Maduro capture

Ione Wells South America Correspondent

Getty Images Venezuela's interim president, Delcy Rodriguez and US Interior Secretary Doug Burgum walk side by side Getty Images
Venezuela's interim president, Delcy Rodriguez and US Interior Secretary Doug Burgum agreed to work together to develop mining in Venezuela this week

The US and Venezuela have agreed to re-establish diplomatic and consular relations.

The agency said in a statement that the two sides would make joint efforts to promote stability, support economic recovery and advance political reconciliation.

While their diplomatic relations have been improving since the US military captured Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro in January in a surprise raid, the announcement


Anthropic vows to sue Pentagon over risk designation

Lily Jamali , North America Technology correspondent and

Kali Hays , Technology reporter

Reuters US Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth standing in a blue suit and tie. Reuters

The US has officially deemed artificial intelligence (AI) firm Anthropic a supply chain risk, setting the stage for an unprecedented legal fight.

The Pentagon's designation is the first time a US company has been labelled a supply chain risk, which means the government considers Anthropic not secure enough for it to use.

It has led Anthropic, which has refused to give defence agencies unfettered access to its AI tools over concerns of mass surveillance and autonomous weapons

Continue reading...

Ukraine accuses Hungary of taking seven people hostage

Reuters Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha speaks into a microphone. He has white hair and wears glasses. Reuters
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha has accused Hungarian authorities of taking hostage seven employees of Ukraine's state savings bank, Oschadbank.

Writing on X, Sybiha said: "Today in Budapest, Hungarian authorities took seven Ukrainian citizens hostage. The reasons are still unknown, as well as their current well-being."

The employees were in two cars carrying $80m (£60m) worth of cash between Austria and Ukraine. The authorities had sent a note demanding the employees