Crombie considers political return to run again for Mississauga mayor

A familiar figure might be returning to the political scene with the possible entry of Bonnie Crombie into Mississauga’s mayoral race.

Crombie was mayor of the city from 2014 to 2024 before stepping down to run for the leadership of the Ontario Liberal Party. She would go on to beat Liberal MP Nate Erskine-Smith, Liberal MP and former provincial cabinet minister Yasir Naqvi, and former Liberal MP and then MPP Ted Hsu on the third ballot.

Despite the Liberals regaining official party status in the

Add as a preferred source on Google

Child, 3, seriously injured after vehicle strikes multiple pedestrians: Toronto police

Toronto police say a three-year-old child was among three people struck by a vehicle in the Bathurst Street and Avenal Drive area on Wednesday just before 4 p.m.

Paramedics tell CityNews the child was taken to a local trauma centre with serious injuries.

An adult was taken to hospital with minor injuries and a third person was assessed on scene but declined being taken to hospital.

Police say the driver remained on scene. There’s no word at this point on possible charges.

Keep it Factual

Add CityNews

Add as a preferred source on Google

Environment groups suing Ottawa over projected missed emission targets

OTTAWA — A group of climate advocates is suing the federal government, saying recent policy changes have put it off track to meet Canada’s legislated emission reduction targets.

An application for judicial review filed on Monday asks the Federal Court to order Ottawa to bring its 2030 emissions reductions plan into compliance with the Net-Zero Accountability Act.

The application also says that, in lieu of such an order, the Federal Court should declare Ottawa’s emission reductions plan unlawful under the act.

Environmental Defence and the

Add as a preferred source on Google

CRTC issues warning to Rogers over three new fees after ban takes effect

Rogers Communications Inc. is the latest of Canada’s Big Three telecommunications providers to receive a rebuke from the CRTC over new fees introduced despite a policy meant to prohibit them.

In a letter issued Tuesday, the commission says it is aware that Rogers began charging customers a new $40 device setup fee, a $25 shipping charge, and an unspecified SIM card fee as of that day.

Previously, the CRTC sent repeated letters to Bell Canada and Telus Corp. warning that their own recently introduced fees could

Add as a preferred source on Google

Trump says he would rather not have CUSMA, gives conflicting message on its future

WASHINGTON — U.S President Donald Trump says he would rather not have the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement and offered a confusing message on the trade pact’s future today.

The continental trade agreement, known in Canada as CUSMA, is up for mandatory review but comments from the Trump administration indicate the U.S. expects to blow past a July 1 deadline.

That would trigger an annual rolling review for up to a decade, at which point CUSMA would expire if it’s not renewed

Add as a preferred source on Google

Blue Jays place Max Scherzer on 15-day injured list with back spasms

The Toronto Blue Jays ‘ starting rotation has taken another hit.

Max Scherzer has been placed on the 15-day injured list with back spasms, the team announced Wednesday.

Chad Dallas was recalled from the triple-A Buffalo Bisons in a corresponding move. Braydon Fisher will also start on Wednesday in Scherzer’s place, according to Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi and Arden Zwelling.

It will be Scherzer’s second stint on the IL. He was shelved from April 24 to June 10 due to right

Add as a preferred source on Google

Conservative MP’s bill on intimate partner violence becomes law

OTTAWA — The Criminal Code will soon be updated to allow for a charge of first-degree murder against the killer of an intimate partner, regardless of whether the act was premeditated.

Bill C-225, which received royal assent in Parliament today, will amend the Criminal Code to make first-degree murder applicable to killings that happen as part of a pattern of coercive or controlling conduct.

The law also will help track incidents of intimate partner violence in Canada’s justice system by creating a specific offence for

Add as a preferred source on Google

IRCC pauses processing some citizenship by descent cases as department probes issues

OTTAWA — The immigration department says it has temporarily paused the finalization of some new citizenship by descent applications after “a few dozen” people were told their issued citizenship certificates must be surrendered pending a review.

A statement issued late Wednesday says “the department is reviewing how this occurred” and is taking steps to ensure applications are assessed fairly and lawfully.

The statement says people who received citizenship certificates and came to Canada are still able to work while this review takes place.

The department says it is in the process of notifying

Add as a preferred source on Google

York police officer charged with breach of trust

A York Regional Police officer is facing charges after an investigation by the force’s Professional Standards Bureau.

Constable Kivijan Ketheeswaran was arrested and charged with unauthorized use of a computer and breach of trust by a public officer on Wednesday.

He’s been with the York police for under two years, starting in October 2024 and working as a uniform officer in District 4.

Ketheeswaran has been under paid suspension since April 11, 2025, less than eight months after he was employed, as

Add as a preferred source on Google

2 boys arrested along with 12-year-old driver after officer struck on Leaside Bridge

Toronto police have made two more arrests after an officer was struck and seriously injured by a vehicle in East York on Monday.

A 12-year-old boy was arrested the same day and is accused of driving a stolen vehicle that struck the officer before fleeing the scene.

He is facing multiple charges, including attempted murder, theft of a motor vehicle, dangerous operation, assaulting a peace officer and leaving an accident scene.

Two more boys, aged 12 and 14, have now been arrested in connection

Add as a preferred source on Google