Victor Wembanyama nearly hit by egg following loss to Knicks, video shows

NEW YORK (AP) — A brutal night for Victor Wembanyama continued even after he returned to his hotel on Wednesday, as he was pelted with boos from jeering Knicks fans and nearly struck by a flying egg.

A video shared online showed at least one egg tossed in the direction of the San Antonio Spurs superstar as he entered his hotel, flanked by security, following the team’s game 4 loss to the Knicks.

It was not clear who threw the egg. The video showed taunting fans swarming the hotel,

Add as a preferred source on Google

Toronto, Ontario investing $200K apiece to bring back Taste of the Danforth

The province and the municipal governments are chipping in $200,000 each to help bring back the Taste of the Danforth, one of Toronto’s most popular street festivals.

Earlier this year, Premier Doug Ford and Mayor Olivia Chow said their governments would help fund the resurrection of the longtime festival celebrating Greek food and culture.

The GreekTown on the Danforth BIA had also confirmed to CityNews at the time that the event was set to return to the city Aug. 7-9.

“Taste of

Add as a preferred source on Google

Ambassador tells Canada to don ‘sales hat’ after Trump questions future of trade pact

TORONTO — Canada-U.S. Trade Dominic LeBlanc said he expects to see bilateral agreements negotiated alongside talks on the critical continental trade pact.

“I would expect that we will have bilateral arrangements between Canada and the United States, between the United States and Mexico, sort of adjacent to the trilateral framework,” LeBlanc said at the U.S.-Canada Summit in Toronto on Thursday.

“If those agreements resolve issues that all three countries are trying to resolve, I’m hopeful that we might,

Add as a preferred source on Google

‘I’m just so furious’: Driver warns others of tow service following crash

Seth Babaei was on his way home from work in late May when he got into an accident. He says a tow truck showed up at the accident scene, one he did not call.

“I was in a near-death experience. My brain doesn’t work, it’s 2 a.m., I just had an eight-hour shift,” he tells CityNews. “He was talking to me and said, ‘Do you want your car towed?’ At first, I refused

Continue reading...

How social media companies view youth bans and what they’re doing to protect kids

The federal government is proposing a social media ban for users under 16 in hopes of getting tech companies to make their platforms safer.

Heritage Minister Marc Miller announced Wednesday that social media companies will eventually have to block Canadian users under 16 from accessing their platform unless they follow unspecified safeguards.

The Canadian Press asked tech companies what they’re doing to protect young people, how they feel about potential bans and what they think of Wednesday’s announcement.

What teen users get:

Instagram owner Meta started giving teens under

Add as a preferred source on Google

Concerns from array of groups about prevalence of gambling ads during World Cup

TORONTO — The stage is set for Toronto’s turn as FIFA World Cup host, and some government officials and advocates worry that the major sporting event will also spark intensified gambling advertising — and the public health problems that can follow.

Stan Cho, Ontario’s minister of tourism, culture and gaming, is looking at further restrictions on gambling advertising in the province and is concerned in particular about the global soccer tournament.

“Any time there’s a big sporting event, you see the spike in just gambling in

Add as a preferred source on Google

Weekend need-to-know: FIFA World Cup arrives in Toronto

After months of anticipation, the FIFA World Cup officially kicks off in Toronto and across North America this weekend. There is extra service on GO Transit and TTC and road restrictions so make sure to map out your route if you are heading to Toronto Stadium or the FIFA Fan Festival at Fort York.

The FIFA World Cup officially kicks off in Toronto this Friday afternoon with the opening match between Canada and Bosnia and Herzegovina at 3 p.m.

The FIFA Fan Festival will also be running all weekend for those who were lucky

Continue reading...

Human remains found in Barrie park identified

Barrie police have identified the human remains found in a park in the city last week.

A person working in the Berczy Park area, near Wellington Street East and Berczy Street, discovered the bones and called police shortly before 1 p.m. on June 5.

A post mortem was conducted and police confirm the remains are of Jamie Goudreault, 50, from Barrie. His next of kin have been notified.

The death is being treated as suspicious and being investigated as a homicide, but police say it is too

Add as a preferred source on Google

World Cup begins as Canada braces for wave of matches, concerts and football fever

The biggest FIFA World Cup in history officially kicks off today, as Canadian host cities prepare for an influx of matches, international fans and cultural events.

In Toronto, buzz is humming as Fan Festival programming, public watch parties and other activations take shape throughout the tournament, alongside final logistical preparations ahead of Canada’s opening match on home soil Friday.

The city hosted a spirited countdown concert Wednesday night featuring Bryan Adams, Wyclef Jean, Nora Fatehi and The Beaches, performing before thousands of cheering fans.

This year’

Add as a preferred source on Google

Pride flag burned at Markham school; two 18‑year‑olds charged in suspected hate-motivated incident

Officers were called to the school near Yonge Street and Clark Avenue on Tuesday after staff reported that a Pride flag had been burned on the property.