Feds extend gun amnesty while Supreme Court case plays out

OTTAWA — The federal government is extending an amnesty for owners of banned firearms while a legal battle plays out at the Supreme Court of Canada.

Over the last six years, Ottawa has outlawed about 2,500 types of firearms, including the AR-15 and Ruger Mini-14, on the basis they belong only on the battlefield.

The government previously said prohibited firearms must be disposed of or deactivated by the end of an amnesty period on Oct. 30.

In March, the Supreme Court

Add as a preferred source on Google

7 more suspects identified in shooting death of Anthony Taylor at Rexdale TCH building

Toronto police say they have identified seven more suspects in the shooting death of a 28-year-old man at a Toronto Community Housing building in Rexdale at the beginning of the month.

Police were called to the area of Queen’s Plate Drive and Rexdale Boulevard at around 8 p.m. on June 1.

They found a man with a gunshot wound in a hallway on an upper floor of the housing complex. Life-saving measures were taken, but the victim was later pronounced dead at the scene

Continue reading...

Carney, MPs raise Pride Flag on Parliament Hill

OTTAWA — The rights of LGBTQ+ people around the world are backsliding and the community is underrepresented in Canada’s democracy, Prime Minister Mark Carney said Tuesday at a ceremony to raise the Pride Flag on Parliament Hill.

“While Pride season comes and goes, our commitment to ensuring safety and dignity does not,” Carney said.

Parliamentarians and staffers from both sides of the aisle attended the event. Canada marks Pride Month in June.

Carney said raising the Pride flag is a symbol of belonging and an act of vigilance

Add as a preferred source on Google

Durham College employee accused of luring young girls into sending sexual material over Reddit, Snapchat

Durham Regional Police have charged a Durham College employee after he allegedly lured young girls into sending sexual material over the internet.

Investigators say the suspect lured two girls, aged 12 and 13, into sending “sexual abuse and exploitation materials” through Reddit and Snapchat.

“The suspect operated under the usernames DeliveryNormal7189 on Reddit and manu041.01 on Snapchat,” a Durham release states.

In 2026, members of the Internet Child Exploitation Unit executed a search warrant

Add as a preferred source on Google

Concerns over crowd size, illegally parked vehicles led to early Do West Fest shutdown: Toronto police

Do West Fest is a popular and annual event west of downtown Toronto. Officers say the event ended earlier than expected on Saturday.

Cleanup of stinking fish sauce factory in Newfoundland will cost $1.74 million

ST. JOHN’S — It will cost $1.74 million to clean up an abandoned, rotting fish sauce plant whose stench has been tormenting a rural Newfoundland community for years.

The Newfoundland and Labrador government awarded a contract last week to remove 110 vats of rotting fish sauce left behind in the decaying building in St. Mary’s, N.L., about 95 kilometres southwest of St. John’s.

Steve Ryan, the town’s mayor, says the work should

Add as a preferred source on Google

Manitoba premier says “Mine, baby, mine” as he signals regulation pullback

WINNIPEG — Manitoba’s premier says he aims to streamline mining regulations to help the industry drive the economy.

“Mine, baby, mine. I think that needs to be our motto here in Manitoba,” Wab Kinew said Tuesday at a Manitoba Chambers of Commerce event in Winnipeg.

While the Port of Churchill expansion is still his flagship project, Kinew said Manitoba should also be following the resource-based growth model of Saskatchewan.

“There’s a lot of interest in advancing mining activity in Manitoba, and I

Add as a preferred source on Google

Toronto Zoo launches free field trip program for students

The pilot program is funded through $300,000 in the City's 2026 budget, including $100,000 proposed by Mayor Olivia Chow.

Serena returns: Williams makes a winning comeback in doubles at Queen’s Club with Mboko

LONDON (AP) — After nearly four years away from professional tennis, Serena Williams made a winning return at Queen’s Club on Tuesday.

The 44-year-old Williams showed she still has plenty of her trademark power, hitting service winners of up to 120 mph as she teamed up with 19-year-old Canadian Victoria Mboko to win their opening doubles match at the grass-court tournament.

Williams and Mboko beat third-seeded duo Nicole Melichar-Martinez and Erin Routliffe 7-

Add as a preferred source on Google

Rents fall as new completions surge and demand slows, but rebound expected: CMHC

Canada’s housing agency says rental prices have fallen amid an influx of new properties and slower population growth, but demand in major cities is expected to grow in part due to improving affordability.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp.’s mid-year rental market report said increased supply from new buildings is driving asking rents for available units lower, particularly in markets such as Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa.

Meanwhile, it said Halifax’s asking rents have begun to stabilize after previous declines, while Montreal and Edmonton

Add as a preferred source on Google