Man convicted in Jan. 6 riot at US Capitol has a job at the Pentagon
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration has given a man convicted in the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol a job in the Pentagon’s policy office, according to officials and internal records.
“Mr. Elias Irizarry is a qualified, patriotic young professional, and we are proud to have him as a political appointee,” acting Pentagon press secretary Joel Valdez said in a social media post this week.
Irizarry, whose appointment was first reported by The Washington

TTC bus crash sends 4 people to hospital, 1 woman charged
Four people were sent to a hospital and a woman was charged after a collision between a vehicle and a TTC bus on Wednesday afternoon.
Police say the crash happened near Eglinton Avenue East and Danforth Road at approximately 1:30 p.m.
At least four people suffered minor injuries and were transported to a hospital. Meanwhile, the 80-year-old driver of the vehicle was charged with carless driving.
The exact circumstances of the crash were not immediately known.
This is the second time this week a

Tools to fight hantavirus show promise despite limited funding. Now researchers hope to continue
SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) — When a rare but deadly rodent-borne virus struck passengers on a cruise ship and seemed to be spreading, there were no treatments for those who fell ill and no vaccines to protect others.
That was the case even though it wasn’t a novel germ that the world had never seen before, like the virus that caused the coronavirus pandemic. It was a hantavirus, one of a family of viruses that have been known for decades and are thought to exist around the world.

Emergency closure of some eastbound Gardiner Expressway lanes near Humber River ordered
FIFA’s World Cup stadium code bans vuvuzelas, says body paint isn’t clothing
VANCOUVER — Fans attending FIFA World Cup matches will have to leave their vuvuzelas at home.
Vuvuzelas gained worldwide attention during the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, where the plastic horns became one of the tournament’s defining symbols despite complaints from players, coaches and broadcasters about their constant drone.
The ban is part of FIFA’s stadium code of conduct for the 2026 tournament, which applies to venues in Canada, the United States and Mexico and outlines a lengthy list of prohibited items and

Ontario civil servants to see ‘flexibility’ on work options during World Cup: government
Ontario’s incoming interim Treasury Board president says there will be “flexibility” in work arrangements for public service employees during the upcoming FIFA World Cup.
Finance Minister Peter Bethlenfalvy, who is taking on the Treasury Board role Friday, gave no details on what that flexibility would entail, however, and defended the province’s return-to-office mandate, which has faced criticism from public service unions.
Bethlenfalvy was tapped for the interim position last month after Caroline Mulroney announced her resignation, which takes effect Friday.
Mulroney

Man seriously injured in Rexdale shooting
Toronto police are investigating after a man was shot at a home in the Rexdale area Wednesday afternoon.
Officers say they located a man in his 30s suffering from gunshot wounds near Humber College Boulevard and Westmore Drive shortly before 4:30 p.m.
The victim was transported to a hospital with serious, life-threatening injuries.
Police say a suspect was seen fleeing in a dark-coloured vehicle.
Add CityNews Toronto as a trusted source on Google to see more local stories from us.

Cyclist struck by vehicle near Little Italy
WHO calls for travel restrictions on Ebola-affected countries to be lifted, days after Canada’s comes in effect
TORONTO — The World Health Organization is calling on countries to remove any travel restrictions recently imposed on people coming from Ebola-affected countries.
The request comes days after Canada stopped approving visas for Congolese nationals as part of what the federal government said was a temporary measure to reduce the risk of the virus entering and spreading within the country.
Canadian officials also initiated a mandatory self-isolation period of 21 days for anyone entering the country who has recently been in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda and South Sudan.
In

Man hit by pickup truck in Scarborough, critically injured
A man has been rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries after he was struck by a pickup truck in Scarborough.
Emergency responders were called to the area of Kingston Road and Manse Road around 1:44 p.m. on Wednesday.
Police say the driver remained at the scene.
One westbound lane of Kingston is open.
Add CityNews Toronto as a trusted source on Google to see more local stories from us.
