Toronto man and woman facing numerous charges after 2025 shooting
Toronto police have arrested a man and woman in connection with a shooting in The Beaches in April last year.
Police were called to the area of Kingston Road and Malvern Avenue around 3:00 a.m. on April 30, 2025 for the sound of gunshots.
They say a firearm was discharged in the area but there were no reports of injuries or property damage.
An investigation was launched and a search warrant was executed on May 19, 2026. During the search

Scotiabank buying U.S. commercial bank MapleMark
TORONTO — Scotiabank has signed a deal to buy the parent company of MapleMark Bank, a U.S. commercial bank.
Financial terms for Maple Financial Holdings Inc. were not immediately available.
Travis Machen, chief executive and group head of global banking and markets at Scotiabank, says the deal allows the Canadian bank to offer U.S. Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. deposit insurance to clients.
“MapleMark Bank is a well-run bank primarily operating in Dallas, Texas and further supports our strategic focus within the North

Angel burial monument stolen from Burlington cemetery
Posted May 29, 2026 10:23 am.
Halton police are investigating after a burial monument was stolen from a Burlington cemetery sometime in mid-May.
Investigators say the monument was reported stolen on Tuesday from the Lowville United Church Cemetery on Britannia Road.
It was believed to have been taken at some point between May 16 and May 22.
It’s described as a large angel standing four-and-a-half feet tall, made of cast resin and weighing around

Questions dog tentative US-Iran deal as Iranian official says concessions come ‘through missiles’
WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. President Donald Trump said Friday he’s holding a White House Situation Room meeting with his advisers as he looks to make a “final determination” on moving forward with a deal to extend the Iran ceasefire and reopen the Strait of Hormuz .
Trump confirmed the high-level talks the day after The Associated Press and other news outlets reported that U.S. and Iranian negotiators had come to terms on a tentative agreement . The deal would extend the fragile ceasefire by 60

Ontario in secrecy-by-default mode, critics say after blue licence plate reversal
Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s government is in secrecy-by-default mode, opposition critics say after reviewing the content of blue licence plate documents the province had been prepared to fight the release of in the courts.
The province’s information and privacy commissioner ordered the release of documents earlier this year on the government’s plan to get the plates with visibility issues off the roads, after the government denied a 2022 freedom-of-information request from The Canadian Press.
Government lawyers initially asked the

CHUM 104.5 launches new morning show ‘NAT & JOSIE’ as Marilyn Denis era nears its end
Judge temporarily blocks payouts from Trump’s $1.776 billion ‘anti-weaponization’ settlement fund
WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal judge on Friday temporarily blocked the Trump administration from proceeding with a new $1.776 billion settlement fund for the Republican president’s allies who believe they were victims of a weaponized government, halting its formation or any potential payouts for at least the next two weeks.
U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema in Alexandria, Virginia, scheduled a June 12 hearing for arguments on whether to extend her order barring the government from moving forward with its “Anti-Weaponization

Unidentified victim in downtown Toronto homicide; police release new images in appeal
Canada head coach Jesse Marsch set to unveil 26-player World Cup roster
Canada is set to unveil its roster for the FIFA World Cup today.
Head coach Jesse Marsch invited 32 players to a training camp in Charlotte, N.C., this week and he plans to narrow that group to 26 tonight.
Captain Alphonso Davies is expected to be on the roster, despite missing camp as he recovers from a hamstring injury.
The Bayern Munich star is one of several Canadian players working their way back from various ailments, a factor that has complicated Marsch’s decisions.
Canada will
Danielle Smith’s referendum gamble
As separatist sentiment swirls across Alberta, the country has been holding it’s breath and wondering: “will we face another separation referendum?” It seemed inevitable, as Premier Danielle Danielle Smith changed the rules to make putting a referendum forward easier.
But a court decision rejected their petition on the grounds that Indigenous peoples who would be affected were not properly consulted. Smith has since announced a compromise, of sorts: a referendum on whether or not to have a separation referendum.
Host Caryn Ceolin speaks to Ryan Jespersen,