Philippine military assures ‘no vacuum’ over top officer’s retirement

This Week in Asia Politics

The transition comes at a sensitive time due to ongoing tensions in the South China Sea and Manila’s row with some retired officers over Marcos

3 -MIN READ 3 -MIN

Philippine military chief General Romeo Brawner Jnr speaks during a forum with foreign reporters at the military headquarters in Manila on October 3. Photo: AFP

Senior Philippine officers from the armed forces have emphasised continuity among the military leadership, with the expected retirement of chief of staff General Romeo Brawner Jnr coming at a sensitive moment for President Ferdinand Marcos Jnr .

Whoever Marcos appoints to replace Brawner has to


Italian court sentences ex-highway chief to 12 years’ jail over Genoa bridge disaster

Giovanni Castellucci was convicted of vehicle homicide and negligence after a bridge in Genoa collapsed in 2018, killing 43 people

2 -MIN READ 2 -MIN

Vehicles are abandoned on the Morandi motorway bridge after a section collapsed in the north-western Italian city of Genoa in August 2018. Photo: AFP

An Italian court on Thursday sentenced the former head of motorway operator Autostrade per l’Italia to 12 years for his role in a deadly bridge disaster eight years ago.

Giovanni Castellucci was found guilty of vehicle homicide and negligence related to the collapse of the bridge in Genoa that

Continue reading...

Can Malaysia’s PAS deliver the votes in Negeri Sembilan despite Johor wipeout?

This Week in Asia Politics

The party says it helped BN secure victory in Johor and has promoted cooperation with the coalition for the coming Negeri Sembilan election

4 -MIN READ 4 -MIN

Supporters of PAS, Malaysia’s largest Islamist party, in 2018. Photo: AFP

Malaysia ’s largest Islamist party was wiped out in Johor’s state election last weekend, but PAS is now trying to turn that defeat into bargaining power.
Its argument is that
Continue reading...

Chinese foreign vice-minister Ma Zhaoxu set for US visit in ‘temperature test’ for Xi

Chinese President Xi Jinping is expected to travel to the United States in September, following US counterpart Donald Trump's state visit to Beijing in May. The two leaders are also expected to meet at this year's G20 and Apec summits. Photo: EPA

Chinese foreign vice-minister Ma Zhaoxu is expected to head to the United States next week on a trip likely to lay the groundwork for President Xi Jinping’s visit to Washington later this year, the South China Morning Post has learned.

Sources familiar with the matter said Ma, who has played a prominent role in overseeing US-China relations, would be in


Hong Kong builders issue smoking ban blueprint ahead of Friday adoption

Hong Kong’s construction sector has rolled out a unified blueprint to enforce a strict, site-wide smoking ban taking effect on Friday, a major safety overhaul triggered by the deadly Tai Po fire last year.

The guidelines, released by the Hong Kong Construction Association along with eight other industry groups on Thursday, are aimed at creating a unified and clear framework to ensure that different types of work abide by the same set of principles under the new smoking ban at sites.

“The release of the guidelines marks the industry

A construction site in Choi Hung. The guidelines also recommend rewards for workers who quit the habit and regular smoking-cessation talks. Photo: Jelly Tse

UK court jails young hackers for massive London transport cyberattack

People wait for trains at Westminster Tube station in London. Photo: Reuters

A UK court on Thursday jailed two young men for a 2024 cyberattack on London’s public transport operator that exposed the details of millions of customers, in one of Britain’s biggest data breaches.

Thalha Jubair, 20, from East London, and 18-year-old Owen Flowers from England’s West Midlands were each handed five-and-a-half-year sentences at London’s Woolwich

Continue reading...

US coastguard cutters have a South China Sea mission. Will it make a difference?

The vessels will take part in maritime security operations with regional partners in the western Pacific

3 -MIN READ 3 -MIN

The US is sending half a dozen of its coastguard cutters to the western Pacific, redeploying them from the Middle East. Photo: US Naval Forces Central Command

A US decision to redeploy half a dozen small coastguard ships from the Middle East to the South China Sea is unlikely to alter the balance of power in the disputed waters, Chinese analysts said.
In a statement on Wednesday, the US Coast Guard said it had moved its Expeditionary Cutter Squadron to the western Pacific to conduct “

Silence isn’t golden for a world looking to Kevin Warsh’s Fed

A television displays Kevin Warsh, chairman of the US Federal Reserve, speaking at a press conference as traders work on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange on June 17. Warsh spoke about the Federal Reserve decision to keep interest rates unchanged for the fourth time this year. Photo: AFP

Nicholas Spiro is a partner at Lauressa Advisory, a specialist London-based real estate and macroeconomic advisory firm.

Since being sworn in as US Federal Reserve chairman on May 22, Kevin Warsh has struck a distinctly hawkish tone. At his first press conference at the helm of the world’s most important central bank on June 17, Warsh made a solemn vow to curb inflation. He said members of the Fed’s interest rate
Continue reading...

Does Beijing own Batanes? Why Chinese scholars’ claim is a warning shot to Manila

The archipelago, located between Taiwan and the northernmost tip of the Philippine island of Luzon, was the focus of an academic discussion on June 30 at Jinan University in Guangzhou.

At the meeting, scholars from different institutions, including the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, the country’s top think tank, agreed that Batanes legally belonged to Taiwan and therefore fell under Chinese sovereignty, according to a news release from the university published earlier this month, which has since been deleted. They also asserted that China held sovereign rights


SPCA hit with backlash after wading into mainland Chinese dog-killing case

An animal welfare charity has apologised after facing a backlash for asking Hong Kong police to help remove videos of a dog and its pups being killed in mainland China, with the group accused of undermining efforts to raise public awareness of the case.

The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) issued the apology on Wednesday night after social media users argued that taking down the videos would suppress evidence.

The footage circulating online appeared to show at least four boys, whom authorities later said were all under the age of