Four sentenced to death for attacking Catholic church in Nigeria

Reuters The five men sitting on red and black chairs in court Reuters
Five men were on trial but only four were sentenced after one was acquitted

A court in Nigeria has sentenced four men to death for attacking a church in the south-western Ondo state in 2022 in a case which sent shockwaves across the nation.

The court in the capital Abuja also sentenced the men - Idris Abdulmalik Omeiza, Al Qasim Idris, Jamiu Abdulmalik and Abdulhaleem Idris - to 20 years in prison for belonging to a terrorist group.

Presidential assent is required before any death sentence is carried out

Continue reading...

Ex-UK political aide and Biden cabinet secretary lead California governor primary vote count

Los Angeles Times via Getty Images Both candidates appear on stage near a podium. They are shaking hands and smiling. Los Angeles Times via Getty Images
Steve Hilton (left) and Xavier Becerra are in the lead

The California governor's race remains up in the air a day after the primary vote, with British-American former TV host Steve Hilton and onetime Biden cabinet secretary Xavier Becerra at the top of a crowded field.

The contest could take several days to decide due to the volume of postal ballots cast on Tuesday to pick the top two candidates for November's general election.

Becerra, a Democrat, has vowed to oppose

Continue reading...

Director Wim Wenders withdraws 1975 film over actress's teen topless scene

Getty Images Nastassja Kinski in a black dress in 2023 Getty Images
Nastassja Kinski's lawyer said the move was "long overdue"

Oscar-nominated German director Wim Wenders has said he will block future access to his 1975 film Wrong Move after appeals from actress Nastassja Kinski, who was filmed topless when she was 13.

Last month, Kinski told a German newspaper she had been asking Wenders to change the film for years. "That was my first film, he was my first director and he didn't protect me," she told the Sueddeutsche

Continue reading...

CBS News fires correspondent Scott Pelley from 60 Minutes

Getty Images Scott Pelley sits in a chair posing for a portrait Getty Images

CBS News fired its longtime 60 Minutes anchor Scott Pelley on Tuesday evening, amid an ongoing, tumultuous shakeup of the organisation under new leadership.

Newly installed CBS News chief Bari Weiss fired a string of staff at the news programme last week, including its longtime executive producer, and tapped a new editor, Nick Bilton, with no broadcast news experience.

The moves inflamed concerns the network's leadership would undermine independent journalism at the US's longest-running and


Trump-backed candidate in Iowa loses primary

Getty Images File image of Randy Feenstra. He wears a suit as he attends a hearing in the US House Getty Images
Randy Feenstra was seen by many as a frontrunner, and was a reliable Trump supporter

A candidate hoping to run for governor in the US state of Iowa has lost a closely watched primary contest, despite getting the backing of Donald Trump.

Randy Feenstra, who was seen by many as a frontrunner, conceded the race on Tuesday, having received a last-minute presidential endorsement ahead of the vote.

The three-term Iowa congressman, who was running for his party's nomination for November's governor contest

Continue reading...

Norwegian teen was in UK to 'undertake a hit', court hears

Julia Quenzler A court sketch of a young man sat in court. He is wearing a white shirt and has medium-length brown hair with a middle parting. Julia Quenzler
At the Old Bailey in London, Johannes Natland denied a charge of conspiracy to murder

A Norwegian teenager arrived in the UK to "undertake a hit" on behalf of a Swedish organised crime group linked to Iran, a jury has heard.

Johannes Natland, 19, was arrested in a hotel in Huddersfield on 19 March 2025 with two guns and 12 rounds of ammunition after travelling to the country on an emergency passport.

Prosecutors allege he collected the guns from a "hide" in

Continue reading...

The end of Trump's 'weaponisation' fund is another sign Republicans are fighting back

Getty Images Trump is at the podium and speaking while wearing a dark blue suit and bright blue tie. To his right and behind him is Todd Blanche who is wearing a dark suit and indigo tie Getty Images
Todd Blanche, pictured with Trump in the press briefing room, has been the face of the fund

President Donald Trump's plan to hand out $1.8bn (£1.3bn) in taxpayer funding to political allies lasted all of two weeks before his Department of Justice (DOJ) abandoned the idea amid an intense backlash from Republicans in Congress.

The department's decision to officially end the "anti-weaponisation" fund on Tuesday followed a revolt within Trump's own party.

Continue reading...

Ukrainian drones hit St Petersburg as Putin's flagship economic forum opens

Ukrainian drones hit Russia's St Petersburg area

Ukraine has carried out a strike on the outskirts of Russia's St Petersburg, hours before the opening of a major economic forum designed to attract foreign investment into the country.

As dawn broke black plumes of smoke rose over Russia's second city, where Vladimir Putin is due to address the financial event on Friday. Thousands of guests from 130 countries are due to attend, including a low-key US delegation.

Reuters Smoke billowing over central St Petersburg

US announces new tariffs over forced labour concerns

Getty Images A green shipping container vessel appears on the right of the image, in front of a large cityscape in the background. Getty Images

The US has announced new tariffs of 10-12.5% on dozens of countries accounting for almost all its imports over concerns they are not doing enough to tackle forced labour.

It is the second time President Donald Trump's administration has announced new import taxes since the US Supreme Court struck down many of his previous duties in February.

The US Trade Department said these countries will face the tariffs because of their failure to address the importing of goods made with forced labour.

The UK said it


She watched a wildfire destroy her town, so she's building fire-proof bunkers

Fort/submitted photo A small grey shed is surrounded by flames, but does not burn Fort/submitted photo
Fort says the bunker can withstand flames and temperatures up to 2,000 F for three hours

Linda Cantey had the sound of her mobile turned off the night the Atlas Wildfire weaved a path of destruction through her section of Napa, California.

"We were sound asleep when that thing came ripping through our neighbourhood," recalls Cantey, an aerospace engineer and consultant based in northern California.

"By the time somebody called our home phone and woke us

Continue reading...