AI giant Anthropic says it plans to list on US stock market

Reuters Anthropic founder and chief executive Dario Amodei on a stage speaking. He is wearing a blue suit and glasses. Reuters

AI giant Anthropic has said it plans to become a public company in the US.

The company behind the popular chatbot Claude said on Monday it had filed confidential paperwork with the US Securities and Exchange Commission in order to make an initial public offering (IPO) this year.

Once public, people will be able to buy and trade shares in the firm on the stock market, though the company said the price and number of shares to be offered "have not yet been set".

Anthropic's stock market plans


Williams, 44, to return to action in Queen's doubles

The highest-earning female athlete of all-time, Williams drew huge crowds throughout her career and is a figure who has truly transcended her sport.

Equipped with arguably the best serve ever seen in the women's game, Williams was known for her big groundstrokes, strong return of serve and superb movement.

After retiring, Williams largely kept away from the sport and gave birth to her second daughter in 2023.

Last year, she told the Today Show in the US about losing 31lb (


Italians bemused by Milan bull mosaic restoration

AFP via Getty Images / Instagram / Marco Granelli A composite image of the prancing bull mosaic in the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II arcade in Milan. The left image shows the mosaic before its restoration in May 2026, with a hole in its genital area. The right image shows the restored mosaic with light pink stones placed in the area where the hole was. AFP via Getty Images / Instagram / Marco Granelli
A small crater had formed on the mosaic, prompting restoration work to be carried out last week

Italians have reacted with bemusement to the restoration of a famous bull mosaic in Milan, with some wondering what has happened to the animal's "lucky-charm" testicles.

Work to repair the small crater formed by tourists grinding their heels on the bull's private parts began last week and local Milan councillor Marco Granelli said over the

Continue reading...

Iran warns Israeli attacks in Lebanon threaten ceasefire with US

Reuters soldiers direct a car with women inside Reuters
Many families have been fleeing Beirut's southern suburbs after the Israeli military warned residents to leave

Iran has warned that Israeli attacks against Hezbollah in Lebanon could threaten Tehran's ceasefire with the US, after Israel's prime minister ordered strikes on the southern suburbs of Beirut.

Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said the agreement with the US was "unequivocally a ceasefire on all fronts, including in Lebanon" and that "its violation on one front is a violation of the ceasefire on


Hungarian PM threatens to oust Orbán-era president

EPA Peter Magyar and Tamas Sulyok walking through a door. A chandelier hags in the room behind them, which also has a room with red-coloured wallpaper. EPA
Péter Magyar has repeatedly called on Tamás Sulyok to step aside since his party swept to power in April

Hungary's new prime minister has said the government will amend the constitution to remove President Tamás Sulyok after he refused to stand down.

Péter Magyar pledged to remove Sulyok and other key figures appointed by his predecessor Viktor Orbán after his landslide election win in April.

Magyar has accused the president of serving Orbán's


US political commentators denied entry to UK by Home Office

Getty Images Left-wing streamer Hasan Piker speaking while seated Getty Images
Left-wing streamer Hasan Piker is one of the two commentators who had their visa revoked to enter the UK for SXSW London.

Two left-wing content creators have been blocked from entering the United Kingdom after they said the Home Office revoked their visas.

US citizens Hasan Piker, who is a Twitch streamer and political commentator and Cenk Uygur, who co-founded and hosts left-wing populist show "The Young Turks" on YouTube, were both due to speak at the SXSW London festival and an event

Continue reading...

Bowen: Trump needs this war to end but Iran is not backing down

Getty Images An older man and woman and a younger woman walking past a mural in Tehran featuring several drones and a raised fist Getty Images
Talks between Iran and the US continue but Tehran has publicly refused to cede ground

The United States and Iran have both signalled that they would prefer not to go back to the war that has been on hold since the ceasefire was announced on 8 April.

Neither side has allowed the steady drumbeat of military exchanges between them to end the talks being mediated by Pakistan, Qatar and others.

The US still has powerful naval and air forces within striking distance of Iran.

It is safe to assume that the Iranian regime will

Continue reading...

Three Ebola vaccines in development amid growing outbreak fears

Getty Images A wooden coffin is on the left side of the image, with polished surfaces and gold-colored handles. In the foreground, a person is crouching on a dirt ground while wearing full-body protective equipment, including a white suit, a face covering, and green rubber gloves. The person’s hands are held up against the face covering, partially obscuring the face. Behind the person is a simple structure with a doorway, and the walls appear to be made of mud or brick with various wooden supports. The environment looks outdoors or semi-sheltered. Getty Images

Three new vaccines are being developed to tackle the rare species of Ebola that has already killed nearly 250 people.

The International Aids Vaccine Initiative (IAVI), which is working on one vaccine, said the outbreak was threatening to be the worst ever.

The University of Oxford and the pharma company Moderna are also researching vaccines against the Bundibugyo species.

The Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (Cepi), which is providing funding to each group, said "every day counts".

There are now more than


Watch: Fans break glass door trying to see Netflix star

Huge crowds formed outside a shopping centre in China to see Pursuit of Jade's Zhang Linghe.

Nigeria police warn against reprisal attacks against South Africans

AFP via Getty Images A South African protester raises her fist during a demonstration; she is in a white T-shirt reading 'March and march until we win' and holding a placard with the words: 'South Africa is for South Africans' AFP via Getty Images
South Africans protesters have called for tough action against illegal migrants

Police in Nigeria have warned against reprisals targeting South African nationals or businesses following a wave of anti-migrant protests in South Africa.

The police urged Nigerians not to take the law into their own hands, after "reported attacks on Nigerians in South Africa". No such attacks have been reported but the warning followed a meeting of security and intelligence chiefs.

South African police have not confirmed any attacks on foreigners, although the government has condemned "

Continue reading...