In Japan, divorce splits parents from children. Could a law change end sole custody?

Jiro Akiba/BBC A man dressed up in a hoodie carries a baby in his arms while crossing a bridge in a park. Jiro Akiba/BBC
In Japan, until now only one parent held legal rights over the children after separation

On a weekday afternoon in Japan, John Deng stands near the playground, listening to other children play and laugh.

His own son and daughter are nowhere in sight. He longs for the ordinary moments he once shared with his children: taking them to the park, watching them wake up, and being part of their lives.

Deng, not his real name, is originally from Hong Kong and has lived in Japan

Continue reading...

Rosenberg: Luhansk strike sparks Russian accusations and vow to retaliate

Reuters A large grey boxy building is visibly damaged and surrounded by debris and rubble. Flames are visible on one side of the building. Reuters
One of the buildings destroyed at the Starobilsk College of Luhansk Pedagogical University

On Russian state TV a news bulletin shows images of a five-storey building reduced to rubble.

Teams of rescuers are sifting through debris.

On a severely damaged façade there's a sign:

"Starobilsk Professional College."

What happened here early on Friday has sparked Russian accusations, Ukrainian denials, an emergency session of the United Nations Security Council and vows of retribution by the Kremlin.

The town of Starobilsk is in Russian-occupied


I survived a missile strike in the Strait of Hormuz, but my friend has not been found

Sunil Puniya Sunil Puniya stands on the shore next to a boat in the left hand image. In the right hand image the Skylight is seen in the distance on fire with plumes of black smoke billowing into the sky. Sunil Puniya
Sunil Puniya was asleep in his cabin at the time of the attack

"I felt the whole ship shake. I thought there'd been some fault with the engine. But as soon as I stepped outside of my room, there was another explosion."

Sunil Puniya, 26, was on his first job at sea when a missile struck the oil tanker Skylight in the early hours of 1 March.

The US-sanctioned vessel had travelled from Dubai and was nearing the Strait of Hormuz - one of

Continue reading...

Iran 'getting a lot closer' to agreement with US, Trump says

Tom Bateman , travelling with the US Secretary of State and
Brandon Livesay , New York

EPA/Shutterstock US President Donald Trump sits on a leather chair and speaks EPA/Shutterstock

US President Donald Trump says an agreement with Iran has been "largely negotiated" and details will be announced soon.

The deal would include the opening of the Strait of Hormuz, he said on Saturday, without giving further details.

Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei earlier told state television that the US and Iranian positions had been converging in the last week, but warned that did not mean agreements would be reached on

Continue reading...

Nascar champion Kyle Busch died of pneumonia and sepsis, family says

Getty Images Kyle Busch looks on during qualifying for the NASCAR Cup Series Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway on February 11, 2026 in Daytona Beach, Florida. Getty Images

Nascar champion Kyle Busch died after severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, his family has said in a statement released to The Athletic.

A medical evaluation showed the illness resulted "in rapid and overwhelming associated complications," the statement said.

Busch died suddenly aged 41 on Thursday after what his family had described as a "severe illness".

In a statement, Nascar described Busch as a "rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation". He had won two Cup Series titles


Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo

AFP via Getty Images Two individuals are pictured from behind wearing Red Cross tabards.The tabards read AFP via Getty Images
The volunteers are thought to have been infected before the outbreak had been identified, the Red Cross said (file photo)

Three Red Cross volunteers died in the Democratic Republic of Congo from suspected Ebola likely caught while managing dead bodies, the organisation has said.

They are believed to have contracted Ebola on 27 March while working in the eastern region of Ituri on a project unrelated to the virus, before the outbreak was identified.

The volunteers are thought to be among the first to die in DR Congo

Continue reading...

F1 great Prost 'injured as masked gang raid home'

Formula 1 great Alain Prost suffered a head injury when a masked gang raided his home, Swiss media reports claim.

The violent robbery took place at the home of the French four-time world champion in Nyon, about 25km north of Geneva,

Police have confirmed a family was targeted by robbers at around 8:30am on Tuesday, but have not released the victims' identities.

"Several masked individuals entered the house. Once inside, they threatened the occupants and slightly injured one family member in the


India's parody 'cockroach party' claims website has been blocked

AI-generated image/Cockroach Janta Party A staged political-style press conference scene featuring a human-like figure with a cockroach head wearing a dark suit and tie, standing behind a sleek podium with microphones. The podium and backdrop display the name “Cockroach Janta Party” alongside a cockroach emblem in orange, white, and green AI-generated image/Cockroach Janta Party
The Cockroach Janta Party has used AI-generated images to promote its cause online

India's viral "cockroach" political parody group says its website has been blocked just days after it launched.

The Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) has gained more than 20 million online followers since being set up as a joke after India's chief justice reportedly compared unemployed young people to the insects.

He later clarified he was referring to people with "fake and bogus degrees", not


Watch: Pitches, PlayStations and protein ice cream - A look inside Brazil's World Cup base camp

BBC's Brandon Livesay toured the Columbia Park Training Facility in Morris Township, New Jersey that will host the team in the coming weeks.

French pair held until trial after boys abandoned by road in Portugal

Getty Images Frenchwoman Marine R. leaving the Setubal courthouse on Saturday, she is being escorted by a police officer. Getty Images
Frenchwoman Marine R leaving the Setubal courthouse on Saturday

A French mother and her partner will remain in custody after allegedly abandoning her two young boys on a roadside in the south of Portugal, a court has ruled.

The boys were found on Tuesday evening crying beside a road near Alcacer do Sal, about 100km (60 miles) south of Lisbon. The woman and her partner, identified by authorities as Marine R and Marc B, were arrested in Fatima on Thursday.

As

Continue reading...