Son of Mango boss arrested over father's fatal fall from cliff

Reuters Jonathan Andic wears a blue jacket and blue top while he walks with his hands behind his back and his head down. He stands next to a policeman who is wearing a black and red uniform and cap. Reuters
Jonathan Andic, 43 (left) was detained by Catalan police on Tuesday

The son of Mango founder Isak Andic has been arrested in connection with his father's death.

Jonathan Andic, 43, was detained by Catalan police on Tuesday as part of a renewed investigation into the death of the fashion tycoon, which was initially treated as an accident but was later reopened.

Isak, 71, died in December 2024 after falling from a ravine while walking in the Montserrat mountains

Continue reading...

Father-of-8 security guard hailed as hero in San Diego mosque shooting

Police reveal timeline after deadly attack at San Diego mosque

The bravery of a security guard who was shot dead along with two other worshippers at a San Diego mosque on Monday prevented the attack from being much worse, say police.

The guard was Amin Abdullah, a father of eight, a spokeswoman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations-San Diego (Cair-SD), Tazheen Nizam, told the BBC.

"It's fair to say his actions were heroic," San Diego Police Chief

Islamic Center of San Diego Security guard Amin Abdullah who was killed in a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego
Continue reading...

Anti-government demonstrators and police clash in Bolivia

Protesters have been calling for the president to resign after weeks-long unrest.

Victim or enabler? Epstein girlfriend who could face questions despite plea deal

Getty Images Nadia Marcinko (L) was Epstein's main girlfriend for seven years after his relationship with Ghislaine Maxwell came to an end Getty Images
Nadia Marcinko was Epstein's main girlfriend for seven years, after his relationship with Ghislaine Maxwell came to an end

During Jeffrey Epstein's first spell in jail, a 13-month sentence for soliciting sex from an under-age girl, prison records show one woman visited him at least 67 times.

That woman was Nadia Marcinko. Marcinko was Epstein's main girlfriend for seven years - his most significant partner after Ghislaine Maxwell - and in later years, an assistant pilot of his private plane

Continue reading...

Two bodies of missing Italians recovered from inside Maldives cave

Reuters A diver from Finland takes part in a recovery operation for four missing Italian scuba divers who died in an accident in underwater caves near Vaavu Atoll, Maldives Reuters
A team of specialist Finnish divers were able to retrieve the two bodies on Tuesday

The bodies of two Italians who drowned in a scuba diving accident in the Maldives last week have been brought to the surface, local officials have told the BBC.

"They were retrieved from the third chamber of the underwater cave by the specialist divers from Finland after a two-hour operation," Mohamed Hossain Shareef, a Maldivian government spokesperson told the BBC.

The two bodies were being brought to the capital Male for identification.

They were

Continue reading...

Jackson Pollock painting sells for record $181m at auction

Reuters A person with long hair in silhouette is seen facing the artwork holding their mobile phone to video the painting. The artwork is long horizontally and the grey canvass appears a light tan colour under the gallery lights. It features black paint flicks and splashes all over it, together with some fewer red markings. Reuters
Number 7A, 1948 has been owned by some of the most important art collectors of the past half century, according to Christie's

A Jackson Pollock artwork, described as one of history's "first truly abstract paintings", has sold at auction for $181m (£135m) in New York.

Number 7A, 1948, which went under the hammer at the renowned Christie's auction house on Monday, smashed

Continue reading...

Ebola may be spreading faster than first thought, WHO doctor warns

Reuters A woman washes her hands at the Grande Barrier border following confirmation of an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain Reuters
The outbreak, which started in DR Congo, has also spread to neighbouring Uganda

An Ebola outbreak which has killed at least 131 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo may be spreading faster than originally thought, a World Health Organization (WHO) representative has warned.

Dr Anne Ancia told the BBC that the more the agency investigates, the clearer it becomes that cases have spread to other areas.

Officials said more than 513 cases were suspected in DR Congo as of Tuesday, while one

Continue reading...

Two dead in Spain shooting, with babies reportedly among injured

Getty Images A policeman speaks into a phone with his back turned to the camera, with 'Guardia Civil' written on the back of his vest. A police car with flashing blue lights is visible in the background. Getty Images
Spain's Guardia Civil have arrested the man on suspicion of murder

A 25-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of killing his parents and injuring four others in a mass shooting in southern Spain, police have said.

Authorities said the shooting was reported at 23:00 local time (22:00 BST) on Monday in the small town of El Ejido, near Almería.

Four others, including two children, were seriously injured and have


Starbucks Korea sacks CEO over controversial 'Tank Day' promotion

Getty Images The shopfront of a Starbucks branch in Seoul Getty Images
Starbucks is the most popular coffee chain in South Korea, operating more than 2000 locations across the country

Starbucks Korea's chief executive has been sacked over a campaign perceived as referring to a bloody historical incident.

Launched on Monday, the anniversary of the Gwangju Uprising crackdown, the "Tank Day" coffee tumbler promotion sparked calls to boycott Starbucks Korea and prompted a harsh rebuke from President Lee Jae Myung.

Many felt the "tank" motif referenced vehicles deployed by the military government in May 19

Continue reading...

Tasmanian government apologises over stolen body parts scandal

University of Tasmania A room with a display skeleton and organ model with shelves filled with human specimens University of Tasmania
Specimens at a University of Tasmania museum were stolen from bodies and some displayed without permission

The Tasmanian government has apologised for a decades-old scandal in which body parts taken from autopsies were secretly kept - and in some cases put on display - without the consent of families.

The wrongdoing was uncovered last year after an investigation found that between 1966 and 1991 pathologists may have "actively sourced" 177 human specimens collected during autopsies before handing them to a university