Toronto and GTA in midst of blistering multi-day heat event
Heat wave, ‘sun kinks’ on tracks slowing down GO Transit train service
Construction to begin on Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport runway safety buffer zones
Cuban official says talks with the US are at a standstill, announces UN debate on US oil embargo
HAVANA (AP) — Talks between Cuba and the U.S. are at a standstill, despite the island recently approving a series of free-market reforms , Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodríguez announced Tuesday.
He noted that the newly unveiled reforms were neither mentioned nor discussed in earlier talks between the two nations.
“The recently announced (measures) are a matter of total and absolute sovereignty,” Rodriguez said. “We have neither listened to nor are we interested in the U.S. government’

New Trump book, ‘Regime Change,’ has sold 300,000 copies, with more being printed, publisher says
It turns out readers still want to learn more about President Donald Trump after all.
“Regime Change: Inside the Imperial Presidency of Donald Trump,” the l atest book on the Trump presidency , written by political journalists Maggie Haberman and Jonathan Swan, has sold more than 300,000 copies in its opening week, according to publisher Simon & Schuster.
They’re the kind of sales that numerous works about Trump reached during his first term, but had been rare during his second term. Publishers

Man, 75, charged in alleged 2015 elevator sexual assault: Toronto police
Toronto police have charged a 75-year-old Toronto man after he allegedly sexually assaulted someone while they rode in an elevator over a decade ago.
Investigators say the alleged incident occurred in an elevator at a building in the Sackville and Dundas streets area in September, 2015.
Police were made aware of the alleged incident on Tuesday, May 12, 2026, and launched an investigation.
As a result of that probe, Gebrehiwot Tesfamariam has been charged with a single count of sexual

Montreal man charged in York Region human trafficking investigation
A Montreal man has been charged in connection with an ongoing human trafficking investigation being conducted by York Regional Police in partnership with Service de Police de la Ville de Montréal.
The charges stem from a York police investigation in May targeting the advertising of sexual services in York region.
The investigation led to the identification of a victim at a hotel in the area of Highway 7 and Leslie Street in the City of Markham. The victim told police that they had been allegedly lured from British Columbia to Ontario under false pretenses and

Trump administration suspends funding for New York’s Medicaid fraud unit
NEW YORK (AP) — The Trump administration on Tuesday said it would freeze federal funding for New York’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit, a state agency responsible for investigating and prosecuting fraud in the safety-net government healthcare program.
In a letter sent to New York officials, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Inspector General Thomas March Bell accused the state of not securing enough criminal indictments and convictions and said millions of dollars in funding would be suspended through at least Sept. 30.
The move

New Ontario tenant air conditioning rules come into effect
An Ontario law giving tenants the explicit right to install air conditioning units is set to come into effect Wednesday, in the midst of a stifling heat wave.
The section of a 2023 law will be in force as of July 1 and allows tenants to install and use a window air conditioner or portable unit if their landlord doesn’t supply air conditioning, subject to certain conditions.
It is one of a host of regulatory and legal changes that take effect Canada Day, which also includes changes to landlord and

Self-isolation ends for travellers exposed to hantavirus-stricken cruise ship
The Public Health Agency of Canada says the self-isolation period is over for people who were exposed to a deadly hantavirus outbreak that began on a cruise ship in April.
The federal agency also said in a social media post Thursday that a Canadian who tested positive for the rare rodent-borne virus has recovered.
The Yukon man in his 70s was discharged from hospital earlier this month and B.C. officials previously said he was isolating on Vancouver Island.
Meanwhile, eight other travellers were isolating and being monitored
