Fire breaks out in Belgian apartment block, killing several people
ANTWERP, Belgium (AP) — Several people have been killed and many hurt in a fire in an apartment block in the Belgian city of Antwerp, police said Wednesday.
The blaze broke out mid-morning on the eighth floor of the building, where more than 200 people live, in the city’s Linkeroever neighborhood, sending vast plumes of smoke into the air, Antwerp police said in a statement.
An evacuation of the 10-story building was underway. Local residents were warned to keep their

World Cup buzz has the potential to mint more soccer fans among kids – some just toddlers now
LENEXA, Kan. (AP) — Jude Cornell joined a swarm of toddlers crawling after soccer balls, tossing training cones into the air and relocating a goalie net that was proving to be very, very portable.
“He just started walking,” laughed his mother, 27-year-old Kyra Cornell. She’s already plotting her son’s soccer career during a World Cup-themed event for toddlers at a suburban Kansas City library, about 20 miles (32 kilometers) from the stadium

US, Canada, Mexico begin bumpy negotiations to renew North American trade pact
WASHINGTON (AP) — Tourists from Chattanooga check into beach resorts in Cancun. Canadian auto parts feed factories in the American Midwest – and vice versa. Happy hour revelers raise glasses of Mexican tequila and mezcal at bars in Seattle.
It adds up. The United States trades $1.9 trillion a year — $5 billion a day — worth of goods and services with its neighbors, Canada and Mexico. They have supplanted China to become America’s top two trading partners.
So the stakes are high when it

Carney, Inuit meeting wraps with pledge on new program to replace child funding
KUUJJUAQ — A meeting between Prime Minister Mark Carney and Inuit leaders Tuesday wrapped with a commitment for a new program to replace the Inuit Child First Initiative, and for Ottawa to use its channels to get a proposed Inuit Nunangat University accredited.
Carney was in Kuujjuaq, Que., with six of his cabinet ministers for a meeting with Inuit leaders. He co-chaired the Inuit-to-Crown partnership committee meeting with Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami President Natan Obed.
The meeting also touched on Arctic sovereignty, defence and security, housing

Ontario joins P.E.I. in lowering colorectal cancer screening age to 45
TORONTO — Ontario is the second province in Canada to lower the routine colorectal cancer screening age from age 50 to 45.
As of July 1, Ontarians age 45 and up are eligible to receive the at-home fecal immunochemical screening test — or FIT — that detects traces of blood in the stool.
If someone has an abnormal result, they can be referred for a colonoscopy.
Prince Edward Island was the first province to lower the screening age last March.
Colorectal Cancer Canada president Barry Stein says colorectal cancer

Victor Dodig succeeds Darren Entwistle as Telus CEO after 25-plus years at helm
One of Canada’s largest telecommunications companies has officially transitioned to new leadership after more than 25 years, with Victor Dodig succeeding Darren Entwistle as president and CEO of Telus as of Wednesday.
Dodig stepped down as chief executive of CIBC last year after more than a decade leading the bank. He joined the Vancouver-based telecom company’s leadership team full-time on May 1 after serving on the Telus board of directors since 2022.
Entwistle expressed his “heartfelt gratitude” in an emailed message to

Mourners attend funerals for 14 Pakistani children killed in tutoring center roof collapse
LAHORE, Pakistan (AP) — Mourners gathered Wednesday in Pakistan’s eastern city of Lahore to bury 14 schoolchildren who were killed when the roof of a tutoring center collapsed on Tuesday.
Police are investigating whether negligence during ongoing construction work caused the collapse that left another eight children injured and hospitalized in stable condition.
Residents and preliminary police findings indicate the tutoring center was operating in an aging building. Investigators believe the unfinished roof of the second floor may have collapsed because of poor construction.
At least two people, including

Writer E. Jean Carroll calls for Trump to pay $5.8M after high court appeal fails
NEW YORK (AP) — Advice columnist E. Jean Carroll asked a judge Tuesday to require President Donald Trump to pay her $5 million from a jury verdict that concluded Trump sexually abused her in the 1990s and defamed her after she publicly described the attack in 2019.
Lawyers for Carroll filed papers in Manhattan federal court to say Trump is unjustly trying to further delay release of the money after the Supreme Court refused Monday to hear an appeal of the 2023 civil jury verdict
