Man taken to hospital after being struck by vehicle in Markham parking lot
A man has been taken to hospital after being struck by a vehicle in a Markham parking lot Tuesday afternoon.
York police say they were called to a plaza southeast of the Woodbine Avenue and Denison Street intersection around 1:30 p.m. for reports a pedestrian had been struck.
The man was transported to hospital with serious injuries.
The driver involved remained on the scene.
More to come
Add CityNews Toronto as a trusted source on Google to see more local stories from us.

Federal appeals court allows the Trump administration to resume expanded use of speedy deportations
A federal appeals court on Tuesday allowed the Trump administration to resume carrying out speedy deportations of undocumented migrants throughout the United States, not just near the border.
A divided three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit threw out a lower court decision that temporarily blocked President Donald Trump’s expanded use of expedited removal . The ruling was a big victory for the Republican administration, which views the expansion of so-called expedited removal as a key tool for carrying out its

Pedestrian killed in late-May collision on Eglinton West identified as 66‑year‑old man
Toronto police say a 66‑year‑old man has now been identified as the victim of a fatal pedestrian collision last month following a public appeal that included the release of a composite sketch.
The crash happened around 1:19 a.m. on May 31 in the area of Old Park Road and Eglinton Avenue West, where officers were called for reports of a serious collision involving a pedestrian.
According to investigators, a 23‑year‑old man was driving a Honda Accord westbound on Eglinton

GO Train from Kitchener applied emergency brakes after 3 people on tracks
A passenger train travelling from Kitchener to Toronto was forced to use its emergency brakes after the locomotive engineer saw several people on the tracks ahead.
According to Metrolinx CEO Michael Lindsay, a GO Train was crossing the Grand River Bridge, just north of Breslau, on June 13 when the driver saw three people on the tracks. In a video posted to social media, the people can be seen running between the guardrails and tracks as the train passes.
According to Lindsay, no injuries were reported in the incident, and

Fewer Canadians see U.S. as ‘reliable’ as global confidence in Washington sags: poll
WASHINGTON — Most Canadians continue to view the United States unfavourably as global confidence in the U.S. under President Donald Trump continues to slide.
That finding comes from new polling by the Pew Research Center which also suggests Trump is receiving mostly negative ratings from countries around the world.
“We observe that Canadians hold critical views of the U.S. across nearly every measure that we’ve surveyed,” said Pew research associate Moira Fagan.
Fagan said “confidence in Trump” is “well below the international median

Trump, without evidence, blames vandals for damage at Reflecting Pool; says 6 arrested
WASHINGTON (AP) — The saga over the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool took a turn as President Donald Trump said Tuesday that six people have been arrested over recent damage. The president’s troubled $14-million-plus rehabilitation project has become a visceral flashpoint over law enforcement, aesthetics and environmental concerns ahead of the country’s 250th anniversary celebrations.
In a social media post, Trump claimed without supporting evidence that there had been a “350-foot gash” in the paint as

US slaps new sanctions on Cuban companies key to island’s crumbling economy
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — The U.S. hit Cuban state companies on Tuesday with new sanctions that analysts say are expected to spook foreign investors and deepen a severe economic crisis .
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the sanctions target five Cuban entities, including three linked to Grupo de Administración Empresarial S.A., a business conglomerate run by Cuba’s Revolutionary Armed Forces. Best known as GAESA , it is believed to command nearly 40% of Cuba’

‘Weapons have no place here’: Montreal mayor calls for stricter gun control in shooting aftermath
Montreal’s mayor says more gun control is needed to prevent shootings like the one that saw three people die, including a police officer and a civilian, on Monday.
Mayor Soraya Martinez Ferrada says more regulations on gun ownership, especially when it comes to the country’s metropolises, is needed.
“How can someone, even today in 2026, pick up a rifle, go into a public street, and shoot people?” she told a press conference Tuesday.
“What I want to make

2 females, one aged 14, arrested in stolen vehicle with imitation firearms: Durham police
Durham Regional Police officers say two suspects, an adult female and a 14-year-old girl, were both arrested after they were allegedly found driving a stolen vehicle in Oshawa.
Officers spotted the vehicle, a Dodge minivan previously reported stolen, in the area of Glen and Porter streets on Sunday, June 21, at around 8:10 p.m.
Officers approached the vehicle and arrested both suspects without incident.
Investigators say a subsequent search of the vehicle turned up two imitation firearms.
They also
